SPOA perches/pads- what works best-UPDATE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 10:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SPOA perches/pads- what works best-UPDATE

Looking for advice on SPOA spring perches. I have read a lot about buying and making, however, I have not arrived at a solution. What do you think is the best way to go. I do have a Miller stick welder and limited experience. I am not to hot on the idea of making my own as NCO has Breeze for for $35.00 for a set of 4. I like the looks of the RRO deluxe spring pads but are they worth $85 or $89?

Also are they any additional problems with putting on the 5.5" instead of the 4.5". Why not go bigger for the same money and efforts.

Thanks for the info. I am doing my homework now for a future mod.

Don't force it, just get a bigger hammer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 11:02 PM

Re: SPOA perches/pads- what works best

Get the type of pad that reaches down and welds to the original spring under pad,this prevents the axle housing from getting crushed.
The 5.5" pads are going to give you more axle wrap than the 4.5" version. Use lifted springs or longer shackles if you need more
suspension lift.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I cannot comment on the rro perches, but the breeze pads from NCO are super!!!!!!! If you want the additional bracing, why couldn't you just add some 1/4"x2" strap? What really would be time consuming is the perch for the right front as it sets on the cone shapped portion of the banjo housing next to the third member. While you're tore down, why not do the backing plate mod to the sj410 type plate and new brngs.? I have access to every kind of fabrication equipment anyone could want and I still bought the Breeze perches from NCO. I choose my battles carefully. I had no problem with crushing the axle tubes as the Breeze pads wrap around the tube almost to the point of contacting the stock pads that are left on the underside of the axle housing.

88 Sam 4.16,welded rear,235-75's on Ford truck wagon wheels, 4.5 spoa,5k quick mount Ramsey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

here is something you might be interested in.http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/tech/backplate.htm

88 Sam 4.16,welded rear,235-75's on Ford truck wagon wheels, 4.5 spoa,5k quick mount Ramsey
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 11:27 PM
Can't Get Enough

I bought the Confer perches at first and threw them away. Bought the NCO 5.5" perches and they are very nice. The RRO ones are worth the extra money if you are not sure how to align perches. I have seen both but if I was to order another set I would definatly buy the NCO 5.5" perches without a second thought.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 1.6L, Calmini 40mm Mikunis, Pacesetter header, 2" exhaust, MSD 6AL ignition, 5.5" SPOA, 1" shackle lift, CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31" High-Tec retreads.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 12:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There will be an article coming up real quick on the install of our spring pads on Larry Harris' rig. He's the BIG CHEESE at IZook. Knows all about everything about what everyone has to offer and specifically went for ours. They're a great way to go. Keep an eye out at IZOOK for the article. Look around a bit on the web as well and you'll see that ours are tending to be the spring pad of choice for the guys that run the Zuk websites and KNOW.

Whatever you do though, DO NOT get ANY spring perch that does not have a welded gusset built into them. Dangerous!!!

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 12:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used to RRO perches and have had no problem yet and don't tink I will they are pretty tough. I like them because they rap around the hole axle and weld to the factor perch pretty easy to install also

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 01:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just got finished building my own. Like was mentioned before, I have access to several shops and every tool imaginable. When I got done building the perches I did some more reasearch ( was curious to compare ) and RROs perches were identicle to the ones I built. Mine are 1/4 inch, not sure what Glens are.

I would definately suggest buying, there not worth the time and effort it takes to make them. I used $7.00 in steel (2x8x1/4 square tubing), completely used up a $16.00 shop saw blade, and put probably 6 hours into just building them, (not including installing, but there is smoking and beer time, work 5 min, take a 10 min beer brake). This is the first time Ive done this, if I were to do it different and not buy them id buld them all at once to save alot of time.

Bottom line is, I could have put 1/4 of the time I spent building the perches and worked a little OT and more then payed for just buying them.

But I am proud of myself, Gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling all over, like im not a worthless slug and can accomplish something.

JAG
Las Vegas NV

<font color=red> 90 X-Cab Toyota V6 5Speed, 4 inch procomp, 3 inch DC, 35x 12.50 BFG Baja's.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font color=red> 87 K5 Blazer Silverado. The womans wrecked ride 3/26/01.......Grrrrr
<font color=red> 84 Sami SJ410 Playtoy
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 01:56 AM

Weather you build an accessory yourself or buy it ready made usally depends on weather you've got more time than money,
more money than time or more money than common sense.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2001, 03:48 AM
Addict

I've got the RRO SPOA perches. I have a set of confer pads but decided against installing them after hearing all the problems people were having with the thin Samurai axle tubes.

1988.5 Zuk: OD Green Paint, ARB Bumper, OME Lift, 1.6 engine, ISKY DP Cam, Weber Carb, CF II Clutch, 4.16 Transfer, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode