ASA doesn't suck - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

ASA doesn\'t suck

I'm trying to be positive. I need to for reasons other than communal harmony.

The ASA is a cool group in serious need of help. The main staff is working at a fevered pitch to turn things around and to do so quickly. Expect lowered dues, more website updates, greater local representation and a more concise newsletter.

But this is gonna take more work and help is needed. I just wanted to voice my support for the group and I hope I'm not alone. But please, I implore you, do not call the efforts of many volunteers a waste or say we suck. No one wants to waste there time trying to do things for people who don't appreciate it. If you don't like it, don't join.

But if you like the idea of the ASA, then I ask you to please stand forward and be counted. I need to know, as others, that our efforts aren't in vain. Am I knocking myself out trying to get a NE Zook event together for people who think I suck? Does Bill J. rush to make printing deadlines and editorial changes for people who feel ripped-off? Does Glenn W. work on land use issues for the hell of it? And the others who do what they can (pro bono), is that a waste too?

Please, give the ASA a chance to regroup. Actually, give it more than a chance. Try to lend a hand where you can. If you're not a member, then please join. If you are a member, please contact your local rep and see what you can do to get involved.

I will now quitely get off this soapbox.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 02:42 PM
pugrocker

Re: ASA doesn\'t suck

Tim:

I do not want sound negative - but I think that the ASA really sucks. They charge you $25.00 for a cheesy sticker and ink jet printed membership card that gives you a discount at________________(nowhere).

I do think that is very noble of you to want to help jumpstart the ASA - especially in the New England area, but I think that you are better off starting a whole new association all together. The IDEA behind the ASA has very good merit - just some of the worst execution I have ever seen.

Every now and then you hear that the ASA is working on it, and just be patient, or almost there - it is all excuses - action talks and BS walks. I know that I sound like an a*shole - but I am making no appologies and I know that I will not renew my membership with them again.

The Katana is also a joke. Some of the most trivial and useless information I think that I have ever seen. The ASA, in my own personal and humble opinion should have been more like what iZook.com is - a great source of information, support and ideas geared towards and UPDATED regularly for the suzuki enthusiast.

Once again, I commend you on your efforts to try and get the ASA to where it SHOULD be - but you will need the support of more than the people on this board. You will need the support and efforts of those who are supposed to be at the reigns of this whole so-called organization. Without their efforts - it will be fruitless.

good luck,

pug

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks Pug. I'm giving this my all. I really appreciate the help you've given with the Paragon thingy. I hope that the ASA comes thru this time.

If it falls flat on it's face, then I will take you up and we'll kickstart the ECSA.

Cool Beans?

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 03:27 PM
pugrocker

Tim:

I know that you are working your tail off trying to make it happen and I really hope for everyone involved - that is does.

As I have told you - let me know if there is anything that I can do to help out - I have alot of ideas and I can be relatively creative at times.

pug

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 03:33 PM

Tim,
I have never been involved with the ASA and never knew much about them until the recent posts. With that, I'd like to say that I love the idea, I thinks it's great to have a nationwide/worldwide Suzuki organization. I don't know about other states, but here in california we have cal4wheel, which is like an umbrella that many clubs join to support land use issues. Cal4wheel handles any legal matters and throw many events including several environmental clean-ups. And that is what I foresee the ASA being, only on a larger scale.
My concern though is with the bad rep that the ASA has, is this rebuild of the organization going to be frugal? I mean is there enough people that will take a chance on it to get the results you are looking for. If people dont join/rejoin because they feel they have been screwed over or know someone that feels that way, is it ever gonna get off the ground again. I for one would join, but I have never had a bad experience with them, nor do I know anyone (personally) that has, so I would risk the $25 or whatever it is, but I'm only one man. In my opinion, maybe before you continue on your quest for improvement/turn around, that poll should be taken. If you can get enough to take the risk then go for it and the word of mouth should do the rest. Just a thought, and probably a very mixed one at that.
My $.02
Steve

http://suzukisteve.rockcrawler.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I know the idea of (greatly) reduced dues is on the table and appears to be a first step. Somewhere like $5/year. So the risk should be that great.

The ASA can turn full circle if there is involvement. Again, I will revisit the Boy Scout example. If all the parent sends the kids but no one want help out, what will the kids do?

The ASA will be what we make of it. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm glad to see your support and I hope you can get involved on a local level.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What can members do?

Hey I think the ASA is a good idea that's why I joined. The main reason I was pissed off, is the website makes claims of what you get when you join. Thatís all I wanted.

I am just curious Tim what can members do to help?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: What can members do?

We need more active participation on the local level. From trail rides to land use action to writing stories/articles for the Katana to name a few things, there is something that can be done by everyone.

Email Bill J and ask what is available to do in your state. If fact, I will contact Bill myself and ask him.

I'm glad to see your interested. And I'm glad that this whole issue was raised by you. Maybe it will be the catalyst for more member participation in the ASA

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 03:34 PM

Hey Tim,
I have another question for you. Is the ASA still affiliated with Gadzuks? I am currently a member of Gadzuks and if we are still in with the ASA then maybe I could light the fire and get the group involved again. I mean I should probably do this anyway, but if we are already supposed to be involved then it would be easier to knock heads around.
thanks again for the info.
Steve

http://suzukisteve.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode