A new tow vehicle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

A new tow vehicle

I have to find a new tow rig, the Dodge puked the last tranny I am going to buy (1996 Ram, 1st died at 52K, and this one at 104 K, a pattern?) I have found a 1977, ex military long bed Dodge, 1 1/4 ton I think, plain Jane, four wheel drive with either a 318 or 360 with automatic. Good condition, although painted a certain shade of dark brown. Best thing is, it only has 27,000 original miles!!!!!!!!!!!, and I think I can get it for $3,000. Ranger Rick, this thing has a huge double belt driven generator and dual batteries under the hood, any idea what that thing is for, puts out???? I think I can drive one of the zooks with skinny tires in the bed of this thing.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 02:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: A new tow vehicle

Hi Tim welcome back.If your truck has a huge alternator on it ,it might have been a communications truck,or a maintenance truck set up with an on board welder.last thought is did it have any holes in the bed as to where it could have been a boom truck?good luck with it,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2001, 04:45 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey man, glad to hear that. it should be a good truck. n think, your zuk is still small enough that you probably can put it in the bed of that truck. were gettin to be a big MOPAR family here. been messin with f**ds lately. completely fed up with it. got me a dodge now...[grin]
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 05:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Been A while since I had my mits on A TM for one of these, but here go's.. It should/may be a 24 volt system, you should check that out. Also check on parts I don't seem to remember that they used much that is unique but what do I know. (I have been thinking of a ex-mil ambulance for a tow/camper myself,,
But I have a suburban that Needs a trans and it will be ready to go.)

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 09:20 AM

With fuel prices continuing to increase, I wouldn't even consider buying a gasoline-powered tow rig (even though the one you describe does sound cool)

Diesel is the future.

My $.02

OILBURNER [email protected] 1988.5 Samurai, VW 1.9L Diesel,
GRS II, Toyota Axles w/ locked High-Pinion Diff's w/ 5.29's,
BFG 35's and more....

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

This is what I figure, it has a bad set of brake pads, and the front springs are down from a plow sitting on it (probably with the blade up), and yes, likely 9 MPG. But, it has 27,000 actual miles, no rust, and a honking big Dana in the front (1 1/4 ton rig). At $3,000.00 plus two springs and the brake pads, I am looking at $3,200.00 total, and it's paid for. For something new with anywere near the capacity, were looking at over $30,000.00. For $27,000.00, I can buy a hell of a lot of gas, and have big fun burning it!

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 10:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

thats the spirit Tim!!! wish i had $27,000 to blow on fuel too!!!!
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 11:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Tim,

Heres my .02 worth, on some things to consider. Ive found these things to be true with all the old binders that i have.
How long has it been sitting. If its been sitting long youre more than likely gonna be buying seals before too long because the old ones have dry rotted and as soon as they warm up again they will start leaking. Its more than likely a dana 70 front. Ive got a 1 1/4 ton ex-military IH. Its got a dana 70 front with lockouts and a rockwell rear. Napa is pretty much the only place to find seals and bearings for them. Same goes for the motor. If its been sitting for any length of time valve cover seals and front and rear mains have a tendency to go bad. The carb will also need to be rebuilt do to the old gas sitting in it. Changing all the oils is also an almost have to do thing.

Im not trying to downplay the dodge or to be a know it all. Im jus giving advice that i wish i woulda had when i first got into binders.

$3,000 sounds like an awesome deal. Especially considering that it runs and is driveable and has a good body. I only paid 100 bucks for my IH 1 1/4 ton but the body and motor were shot. I only bought it for the running gear.

Keep us up to date on how it comes along.

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
"Keep the shiny side up"
Tread lightly
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 11:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Post a picture Tim, I would love to see it.

Eric

Turn it till it breaks, then back off 1/4 turn
1986 Suzuki Samurai JX
2000 Suzuki Esteem seats
2" Calmini S/R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode