rear springs up front complete - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

rear springs up front complete

i just finished putting the rear springs up front today (would have had it done a lot sooner but just obtained a grinder today). now that i put weight on the springs, the shackle angle is pretty nasty so i think ill make some plates similar to rro's. tomorrow it goes on the ramp to see how it flexes, might get some pix.
when i went to put my driveshaft in (has a 1/2" spacer), it was barley long enough to fit (the front d-shaft). There must have been a very small amount of splines in the yoke still, becuase it wobbels a lot when i push on it.
so a question for everyone with big lifted suspention as well as flexy, what do you do about your drive shaft problems? with my SPOA and shackles my front shaft was binding some.
somone might be able to obtain me some cj springs for 50 dollars for the two springs.. anton

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: rear springs up front complete

I made a driveshaft for mine that has about 20 inches of slip yoke out of a drive shaft that came off of a set of conveyor belts in a junkyard I paid about $2.30 for it and then adapted it to my front DS flanges. your front DS dosent have to be perfect as mos of the time it isnt going to see real high speeds You can cut it and extend it by inserting 1 3/4 tubing inside the shaft after you cut it and then make it as straight as you can get it by clamping it in some angle iron. be sure and cut it in the middle if you decide to do it yourself. another pretty cheap route to go is to make a front driveshaft out of a PTO drive shaft from a tractor pulled implement you know like a mower or a tiller or anything drive by the PTO of a tractor and they are bulletproof. Now let me make this perfectly clear!!!!!!! these ways of making a front drive shaft are for OFF-ROAD!!! use only this farm boy way of fixin Drive shafts will give you vibration at highway speeds. If you or your dad has a wood lathe around you can use it to Jig the shaft up in and see if it is straight. I have built a drive shaft off of the back of my welding rig before for off road purposes. you can roll it on a table top or any good flat surface that you can let the u-joint flange assembly hang off the end of and check it for wobble too. I feel like I am writing a novel here so if there is any way that I can help ya send me an email with your phone # and I'd be glad to visit with ya about it. IMO drive shafts arent as big a deal as everybody makes them out to be especially front ones. Like Mike Shannon says the goal is to get it movin'

Hey, Jeeps do taste like Chicken!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

cool, do you have any pictures? id like to see that slip yoke you got from the conveyor belt.
some people also make their front shafts out of square tubing. anton

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 02:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll try to get a pic for ya tomorrow.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 07:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Anton, I have the measurements for ya, but I'm at the Fire Dept. all day and left the paper work at the house! I'll get that stuff to ya tomorrow! What I did for my front D/S is put a 1 1/4" home made spacer. That took care of my drive shaft problems, but it vibrates a bit when going over 35mph! Skeetshooter, that is some good "back yard" info! I went to Tractor Supply Co. the other day and seen some of the driveshaft stuff that they have, Them Tractor shafts and flanges are bulletproof stuff! My friend and I were thinking about going over there and check out some stuff for the front of mine when I get the YJ springs in!

<font color=blue>Brian</font color=blue><font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 08:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yea I picked up a drive shaft that is made frome square stock the other day that came off of a Kubota shredder and I plan to make a spare drive shaft out of it. it is about 16 inches collapsed and is all slip yoke so that way I will be able to carry one spare driveshaft on the trail that will fit both front and back when I get it made I will post some pics.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 10:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

We include a simple bolton axle relocation system in our kit. Eliminates steering binding as well as keep the driveshaft intact. You might want to do the same thing with yours.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

glenn, the thing is i want the front diff moved forward more, so itll help with 33's. i could make up some missing links of some sort.. anton

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

today i ramped my truck with its new front suspention. i had the rear drivers tyre ontop of a few tyres and rims, was quite high. i was never able to get it to flex this much with my old springs and expander shackles.
The thing i really like about the rear springs in the front is that the body stays very level when you ramp it. i am currently running stock rear shackles (in the back)
ill attempt to obtain some photographs of my suzuki flexing.. anton

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2001, 04:14 PM
Addict

I just redrilled the center holes in my springs. Made it so the axle was moved about an inch forward.

Lonny - Redmond, WA
87' Stomper, 1.6 EFI, SOA, Missing Links, Z-bar Eliminator, 5.125RP, 4.16TC, lockers, bead locks and 33" Boggers
http://www.mystomper.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode