welder help needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 09:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

welder help needed

Hey welders, I'm gonna be picking up a welder in the next couple of months (man, I hope he ain't too heavy! lol) Anyway, I'm gonna buy one and learn to weld, my question for the group is this: My welder will be used for fabbing bumpers and roll cages, doing spoa's and quite a bit of body welding on my latest zuk project. I will be doing this stuff for me and friends, not as a business so it won't be in constant use. What do you guys recommend I get. what kind of welder? mig or stick? what amperage? any thing that will help me get the right piece of equipment the first time!
Thanks for the help,
R/T

If you've never been scared, you've never been wheelin'!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 09:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Get a mig

I've got a 100A stick now. It'll weld just about anything, and it'll blow through just about everything! If you're doing any thin metal work, mig or tig all the way (not sure on the difference). 120A seems to be a good number to use. You would not have to do as many passes.. .02

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 09:52 AM

Re: welder help needed

If you plan on doing alot of welding for other people and yourself the best thing you can buy is a mig welder. alot prettyer weld and if you can use a glue gun you can run a mig. miller mig welders are the best you can get one for around 1250 maybe less. i no there are cheaper versions but in 10 to 15 years you will still be using it and able to get parts for it the same day if you need them .its hard to weld sheat metal with a stick welder .if you want to jump in both feet first get a mig /tig , tig rules on hard metals stainless steel and aluimiun. i just got my matco plasma arc cutter in last week and it rules too!

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 09:52 AM

Re: Get a mig

Based on more than 20 years welding and having 7 certifications this is IMHO.
Is seems that you are looking at doing mostly light gauge metal welding. I would recommend a wire feed over a stick. Most stick machines are an AC type and the smallest (easy to find at least) size welding rod is 3/32 of an inch in diameter. The AC machine is easy to start but, not the best for body welding.
A wire feed gives you many options. You can weld light gauge body parts with a wire size of .030 or .035 inches. You can also use the wire feed machine as a MIG or Innershield. Whatís the difference? The MIG setup requires a gas (supplied from a cylinder) to provide the flux shield for the weld arc. This type of shield is effected by wind and is best used inside. The Innershield wire has no cylinder to mess with and is very useable outside as well as indoors. The Innershield wire has a flux core built inside the wire.
I would recommend you look at a wire feed (places like Home Depot) that has as many heat range adjustments as possible. The wire I use is known as NR-211 and comes in .030 and .035 sizes. I use a Lincoln SP-100 (runs on 110 voltage) with NR-211 .035 wire. I weld sheet metal up to 1/2 thick metal. A machine like this well serve you very well. If you want to know more, feel free to e-mail me.
Bobcat.

<font color=red>Beat It To Fit . . </font color=red><font color=green>. . Paint It To Match</font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 10:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hey man, i got a 225 lincoln stick job and a walmart cheapo wire feed. i personally can use it to patch rust holes in a zuk body, but wire feed is much nicer. done it before. it is a job, but if your good enough, you can do it. if i were you, i would look toward a wire feed, be it a flux core wire or gas sheilded. either is fine in my book. if i were going cold turkey for a new welder, i would need a 200 amp gas sheilded mig, at least being on a farm n all, but for a zuk, im sure a 150 would do anything you will ever want to weld.
this is just my opinion man.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 10:15 AM

Bobcat is right on the money - I'm not certified or anything, but I've used both stick & mig. If you are a novice user, a little 110 mig is very forgiving, and you can fab practically anything for a samurai with it [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I would suggest investing the money in a quality unit such as a Miller, Etc. I have used the cheapies, and there IS a difference.

HTH,

OILBURNER [email protected] 1988.5 Samurai, VW 1.9L Diesel,
GRS II, Toyota Axles w/ locked High-Pinion Diff's w/ 5.29's,
BFG 35's and more....

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 10:49 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Def get a Mig, I finally after 20 years of not having one bought a 140 amp unit, Man I just don't know how I have lived without it till now.... (The ansewer to that is
alot more work to do things than was needed...)
So much easier if you will be fabing stuff. I am zapping together just tomorrow a swing-away tire carrer, new t-case mounts and a few odds and ends for friends. The money you spend will come back to you in savings in a short time..

Glenn
87' Zook Spoa,M/L 33's, 4.16 tcase,4.62 gears Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Lockers, 8klb winch, -Wildweasel2 NE4WI- club http://www.cs.umass.edu/~glenn/personal.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 08:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

On a side note....

Just as important as the welding machine itself it the "welder".
By that I mean don't buy a machine and expect to take on every job.
Some courses or tips from a competent welder would be a great asset.
Roll cages, Spoa and steering parts are serious stuff that need serious attention to the welds. I don't like to preach but thought it would be worth the post to mention the importance of it.......

DannyL
Pony Express

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 08:15 PM

Bobcat how much did you welder cost?

I use a 230 A arc welder (stick), works great for thick stuff but sucks for the thin stuff. Also sucks for upside down, and virticle. And its hard to make a nice weld, partially becuase you start off quite far from the work peice and get closer as the rod is consumed.
Id get a wirefeed welder if i were you. (and if you have the $)

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 08:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have your cake and it too buy cheap 225Amp stick
look around get old used one cheap or do....
BillyBob Walmart special big stick allows you to cut metal
and get a sun tan at same time, if you get good on stick
you can do about anything,later if want to do continous
type welding filing in sheet metal holes get wire feeder
attachment it smart way to buy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode