Got the Tranny in!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Got the Tranny in!!

It took a couple of days rest and a tube of lithium grease but I got the new transmission in the Samurai today! I know to most of you this may not seem like a big feat but this is my FIRST transmission replacement and I'm impressed that I got it done all by myself! I'd like to publically thank Johnny Valentine for the "Lithium Grease" advise. Anyway, she's running again and better than ever. I discovered that the stalls and hesitation were not the carburator (which got replaced last week) but in fact the bad tranny binding up. I pulled the bad one, cleaned up the spare (degreased outside, flushed oil and refilled with proper weight [clean] oil), replaced the clutch even though the old one was not bad then installed it with no problems. I did have to notch the cross member all the way back to the hole in order to get the tranny in and out. I don't forsee any long term negative effects by doing this. Now I need to rebuild the brakes. This is the first Sami I've worked on even though I've owned 8 prior to this. I'm beginning to see just how easy these are to work on!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 11:44 PM

Re: Got the Tranny in!!

cool, i did my first one a month or two ago. I found i didnt need to but that is one story i dont feel like explaining. Anyway, i had to notch the crossmember, i didnt know i would need to until i realized that i only needed a little more space for the tranny to come out. I didnt even know that was common practice. My friend kept saying "well i dont know about cutting it man, how do you think a shop would do it?" I said i dont care i cant tell this is gonna work. What was the lithium grease for? Also what is the proper weight for a tranny , do the t-case and tranny take the same oil. I just put some gear oil in it, my s-10 took auto tranny fluid or 5w-30. Good thing you got your problem fixed man later

87 silver sami,30x9.50's, no lift yet, accel 8mm wires, $10 intake, $20 exhaust. :-)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

The lithium grease was to get the transmission pilot shaft to mate with the engine with NO problems. My pilot shaft had some surface rust on it which was preventing it from mating to the engine. The lithium grease all over the shaft made it slide in real easy (no sexual pun intended). I also learned that the tranny needs to be in neutral (duh). The proper gear oil is 75W80 or 75W90. It's kind of a pain in the ass to find around here for some reason and I had to get a gallon (@ $20.00), which answers your next question. Yes, it's the same oil for the tranny as it is for the T-case. So, I didn't mind getting the gallon. I'm dropping an SJ410 T-case in next week and I needed the extra oil to put in the case before I install it.

BTW, how long did it take you to do the swap?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 01:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't understand the notching of the crossmember I just replaced my clutch and the trans came out easy did it in my drive way put it back in easy it was my frist trans job. Is there something I am missing I even left the t-case in just removed the drive shaft from the front and the trans going to the t-case let me know if I am missing something about the story or you are working on something else other then a zook

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 01:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am useing 80w90 in the trans and t-case so fare so good only 7.99$ a gallon

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 01:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Great job Capn_Crunch!

If ever have to do mine will seek your expertise.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 04:29 AM
Addict

Notching the Crossmember

Notching the cross memeber??!!!
I never understood that either because I had an '86 Samurai. I dropped the tranny and replaced it several times with no problems. Not even the weights protruding off the CFII clutch pressure plate caused any problems.

However, on my 1988.5 Samurai that was a different story. What was before an easy job suddenly became a pain the arse. The crossmember definitely had to be notched in order for the transmission drop. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that the frame changed *slightly* and I believe the change came with the 1988.5 model year.

1988.5 Zuk: OD Green Paint, ARB Bumper, OME Lift, 1.6 engine, ISKY DP Cam, Weber Carb, CF II Clutch, 4.16 Transfer, etc.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Re: Notching the Crossmember

Mine's an 87 and I had to notch it. I'm under the impression that some need to be notched and others don't regardless of the year. I probably could have made my notch smaller but I wanted the extra ease of pulling it out myself and thought that it'd make it that much easier in case something went wrong on the trail.

If I was removing the clutch at the same time I could get it out without notching anything. I only had to notch it putting the tranny back in. Maybe it's in the transmission. I removed the 87 tranny and replaced it with an 88.5.

Pauly

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 07:49 AM
Addict

The tranny could be it possibly...
I've installed 86 & 87 trannies in my 86 with no problems. The 88.5 was a completely different story.

1988.5 Zuk: OD Green Paint, ARB Bumper, OME Lift, 1.6 engine, ISKY DP Cam, Weber Carb, CF II Clutch, 4.16 Transfer, etc.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2001, 08:51 AM
Old Hand

Zuki4x4, here is a pic of a "notched" cross member. This picture was taken by DannyL. I added some red lines to show where the mount was before it was cut back.

-Ryan
'88 Sami. locked, Warned, lifted, geared. Two track mind
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-410125-28-242442-CutMount.jpg (83.7 KB, 262 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode