leaking oil onto my belt - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 08:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

leaking oil onto my belt

I looked at some older posts and have found what i believe to be my problem. Here's the question though. My samurai is leaking oil from what appears to be the front of my engine and ending up on the belt. So does anyone know of any other reasons it would leak up there other than the crank or cam seal going? And how much of an ordeal is it to fix this...can I do it by tomorrow morning? I have quite the journey to take the little guy on. Thanks...mike oh yeah i saw some stuff about the pcv valve also...i'll check into it

Samurai Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 08:26 AM

Re: leaking oil onto my belt

its sounds like the cam seal or the crank seal while i was in there i would go ahead and put a new timing belt in there

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 08:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just had my engine rebuilt about 20k miles ago and put a new timing belt on and everything else...but my major question is could it be that my valve cover is leaking and it just ran that direction(the oil). I hate the thought of ripping it all apart today. But also have you had any trouble with the pcv valve from blowby?

Samurai Guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 08:37 AM

I assume you're talking about your timing belt. If it is the one that is oil soaked, it should be replaced, even though it's only been on a few miles. Timing belts are not designed to run in an oil environment. They will eventually soak up the oil and cause separation of the plies of rubber and fabric.
Obviously, it sounds like you've got a seal failure someplace, but the belt should be replaced. Any rubber belt, v-belt, serp, or timing should be replaced if oil soaked.
I work in belt application engineering and deal with this stuff on a daily basis. Hope this helps.

Larry Robertson
88.5 Samurai-Under construction-always
90 Samurai-Under construction-always
97 Suzuki Sidekick Sport-Wife's ride
Way too much horsepower is barely enough!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 08:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the help i'll try this today. actually my fan belt is getting oil on it...which is beyond me, but then again i just do this stuff for fun. but i'll check it all out later on today in a couple of hours when i get home and see what i can manage on my own i'll get back and let you know what i find...thanks...mike

Samurai Guy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 09:54 AM
Can't Get Enough

Most likely the cam seal or possibly the crank seal. My brother's has a pretty bad leak from his crank seal, but it has not gotten his fan belt oily.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 12:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have replaced the cam and crank seal on mine because of the same problem oil on the fan belt. It worked for a while then the cheap ass felpro seals started leaking again in less than 6 months. Not that hard to fix, but it will take the better part of a day if you haven't done it before.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 84 cj7 Laredo [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Superior 1 piece, more to come.....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode