Front Locker??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Front Locker???

O.K. All you guys with front lockers, Lincoln or otherwise....Does it really make it that much harder to steer off road?? I keep seeing pople recommend to put the locker in the rear, because it makes it to hard to steer in the front.
I want to weld the front diff. I've had previous experience with a welded rear (V-8 Pinto...spooky)
I hate dragging the tires through the corners. My Zuk sees lots of highway and off road use, so I want the best of both worlds.
Speaking of which...Anybody got a locker they want to get rid of CHEAP??
[email protected]
http://www.angelfire.com/in3/smitty808
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 03:15 PM
mike shannon

Re: Front Locker???

man don't weld the front!!!! i did it being a tighta$$ and it steers like crap. break down and buy a locker for the front. i would recommend a welded rear but not a front. it does kick a$$ off road as long as you are going straight. or in the mud but the turning radius sucks like making 10 point turns. as soon as i get a chance i am putting a locker in the front. as far as welding the rear if you run alittle more air pressure than normal it is not to bad.my 2 cents mike

88.5ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 05:32 PM
zukiman

DO NOT weld the front diff! You will never be able to turn on any sort of surface where your tires have the slightest bit of traction, without getting out and unlocking a hub! I broke the pins in my front locker once, making it incapable of unlocking, so it was effectively a spool. I had to get out to unlock a hub before I could turn. Trust me, you do NOT want to weld the front diff.

The rear is okay to weld, and it drives fine on-road or off, but it significantly increases tire wear. I went back to a locker because of that.

A locker in front does not make it difficult to steer. In fact, when 4wd isn't engaged, you can't tell that you have a locker in front when the hubs are locked, even on dry pavement. It will increase your turning radius a bit on dry surfaces, but nothing like a welded diff will do! The only "difficulty" in steering with a front locker comes from when the front tires are pulling hard, giving you the traction that you would otherwise not have with an open diff. I have 33x14.50 Swampers, a front locker, and no power steering. I don't need or want power steering either. With a welded front diff, however, it is harder to steer with stock tires than these big Swampers are with a front locker. Yet the locker provides just as much traction off-road.

-- Geoff Beasley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 06:25 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Yes, it is that much harder to steer. I know Max will chime in on this one, so I'll leave that ride with him alone and let him explain it.

I know it's quite a conversion for a Zuki transfer to have 2WD Low, but that really is the best. On the jeeps we do what's called a twin stick conversion, where we can shift the front and rear axles in and out easily and at any time. Even with power steering it's difficult to turn the front end with a locker, and no one I know (driving ANY rig) has welded the front. The twin stick conversion is a very cool feature, but also a necessity on the drivetrain parts. Aside from steering hard, a locked front magnifies the stresses and strains across the drivetrain components. I have seen people cut the wheel to take a turn on dry dirt and blow a U-joint. The birfields are weaker than the U-joint design, so I can't imagine what it'll do to them. Geoff is right, with 2wd low it's easy to turn because it unpowers the front, where the locker will rachet around the corner, it only locks up fully under power. This won't happen with it welded, it'll be hard to turn no matter what.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 01:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I love my front locker would never take it out but it is a little harder to steer. But if I need to turn sharp i just put it in 2wd and can't even notice the hubs are lock but I have 5:12 gears with 32" tires so it is low enof to do that. LOCK IT FRONT AND REAR YOU'LL GO PLACES OTHER PEOPLE CAN'T OR YOU'LL MAKE IT A HOLE LOT EASERY.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2001, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hey Zuki4x4, what kind of rpm do you run at highway speed?? I've tracked down a set of 5.12s and I'm running 31's
I think I'll start with the rear and see how it does then

[email protected]
http://www.angelfire.com/in3/smitty808
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode