Thorley header question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Thorley header question

I got a used Thorley header and there's no outlet for the hose/tube thing that goes to the carb... Any idea if this will screw with emissions? What do I plug that hole up on the airfilter box with?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 12:59 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Thorley header question

That is the pre-heater for the carb. It should not make any difference in warm weather. In cold weather it heats the air going to the airbox until it reaches a certain temperature and the valve in the airbox closes.
The fitting that the hose fits to does not have to be plugged. My pre-heater hose has been off for a year or so, but it hasn't gotten cold enough here that it was a problem. I'm running a Weber though too.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 01:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You need a pre-heat tube to header adapter and a hose clamp. The adapter is just a piece of tubing (1 1/2"?) with a flat piece of steel welded to one end to allow the hose clamp to secure it to the header. A speed shop would probably have this part. Hope this helps....

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 01:18 PM

Hey Pauly

To run your ZUK you dont need the pre-heater hose, but to get it through MD inspection you need to have it in place. I have one on my header that I will let you borrow to get it through inspection. Also, does your header have a O2 sensor hole in it? If not then that will also ding you on inspection.

"Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon!"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 01:56 PM

If your header is relativly new, it should have come with one. Contact Thorley directly and ask for one. I believe that Calmini has them too but it is not listed on their site or catalog.

-Farther
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Hey Jason,

I'll just leave the stock exhaust on it until inspection or look at some other options. I'm just trying to get everything in place for the buildup and I thought if I could I'd install the header and an exhaust now. The O2 sensor location is on the pipe that bolts to the header rather than on the header itself. No problems there, I don't think...

I got the spare tranny cleaned up and ready to install. I ordered a new clutch from the local Pep Boys (nothing great but cheap, quick and complete) and tomorrow's the big day for swap. I'll give myself four hours to pull and swap.
Pauly

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 03:43 PM
Can't Get Enough

Hey Jason, are you back in the states? Send me an email it you are back.

As far as any emissions equipment excluding the catalytic converter, Maryland inspectors will not look for these things unless you fail an emissions test. They will wheel a mirror under your vehicle to check that you have a catalytic converter and then proceed with the test. If you fail, they will ask you to lift the hood and check for emissions equipment. The only other time I know they will nab you is if you sell your vehicle, the inspection station is suppose to check for all of the emissions equipment. As far as my vehicle goes. I am going to perform a tune up the week before my emissions test, retard the timing slightly, fill up with some premium Amoco gasoline and pray.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 1.6L, Calmini 40mm Mikunis, Pacesetter header, 2" exhaust, MSD 6AL ignition, 5.5" SPOA, 1" shackle lift, CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31" High-Tec retreads.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Hey Tim,

Jason came up here on Sunday with Charles (St. Mary's) to look at the engine in the red. I REALLY REALLY want a 1.6 and rather than trash the 1.3 I decided to sell it. Well, Charles took Red for a test drive but the tranny was too noisy. After they left I took it for a drive and the tranny grenaded! I've NEVER heard anything like it before. WOW!!

It's a good think I had a spare.

Pauly

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 11:23 PM
Can't Get Enough

Let me know if your spare tranny works out okay. I still have the one in the white Samurai sitting here. Jason needs to come get those axles and we need to pull the body off and send it to the crusher. I still want the frame and what ever he does not take. I figure two of us can dismantle that thing quickly.

I have been dead to the world since softball season started. Opening day was Saturday. Today we got our a$$es waxed with a score of 15-4. I think the girls were just tired today because it was their first day back to school after spring break. Tomorrow I have to work with my three pitchers for several hours, Wednesday - game, Thursday - batting cage, Friday - rest... it never ends.

Last game is June 4. I will probably finish the 1.6 install sometime after that! Have to call Steve at Calmini tomorrow about the intake. Figure out what's with that water neck.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 1.6L, Calmini 40mm Mikunis, Pacesetter header, 2" exhaust, MSD 6AL ignition, 5.5" SPOA, 1" shackle lift, CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31" High-Tec retreads.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

I'll be more than happy to come down one afternoon and strip the white one with you. It wouldn't take more than a couple of hours to finish stripping it (believe me I know!) Why didn'y you use the tranny? Isn't your's whining? Seems like it would have been easier to pull that tranny and set it up with the 1.6 kit.

I'd like to get the rear springs and possibly the drag link if I could. I'll let you know tonight if I got the tranny installed. Never doen one before and never aligned a clutch before. I gotta get all new fluids and bearings before I install it. Wish me luck...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode