16valve conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

16valve conversion

I have a few questions after reading the article on izook about the 1.6L swap out. Does the sixteen valve have any benifits over the 8 valve when it comes to crawling? Does it have a low torque band? and would it fit in my rig the same as a 8 valve with a two inch lift put on the body. I hate lifting thru the body, so has anyone modified the 1300 oil pan, and is it something complicated? I have three 8 valve 1.6's to choose from, but i saw a 16valve go thru at the auction and said to myself, Hmmm maybe i should pick one up? Thought id ask you guys first. Maybe the swift bottom block with a 1300 head on it is better? Id like to get away from carberated though. Max

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 16valve conversion

I can answer some of that. Well the 16v'er had about 100h.p., with about 105 lb.ft. of torque, the 8v'er had about 80 h.p. so you whould have a way better power band! As for the installation...the 8v'er is a bolt in with a bit of wiring, but the 16v'er is the same except for the hectic wiring but there is a solution . Go to
WWW.trailtough.com
scroll through there engine section and you will find a kit they sell for about $450!!, but it supposed to make it very easy, and if you live near them they will install a brand new 16v'er for 2500 bucks aint cheap but if your lookin' for performance it will most likely not be!!

Thanx
Studly
92 Zuki/235's/1.6(soon)/Still Building
72 fj40/crate 350/33's/discs
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone on the board have this engine as a conversion??

Studly thanks for the input. Trailtough is not going to get my money that easy unless i win the lottery and its a big one. Darn, i really need to start buying tickets....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 11:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ive got the twincam in my rig , and it kicks some serious ass! ive just started on the coils.(they are goin to rock,also).

88 sami ,twin cam ,35" thorbirds ,14" lift ,warn 8000 ,98 4runner seats ,toy axles ,flames ,coils goin under the reir
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 05:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

max, Rockcrawler has a good write-up on the FI (8 valve) conversion. Do a search, he has talked about on this board before. Its not that hard, I made up a harness that I am going to install one of these days

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 08:06 PM

Mxnhid,
I've been running a 16V for 2 years now and I'm quite pleased with it. I installed mine for more power on the hiwway and don't
believe it's power characteristics give any advantages in crawling over a 8V or even an original 1300. The fuel injection is the greatest
benifit to crawling,it allows the engine to run at any attitude or altitude.
The 16V is a "peaky" engine in comparison to an 8V,most of the extra horse power seems to be in the 4000 to 5000 RPM range.
I'm using a Samurai trans behind this engine and the small flywheel you're forced to use caused the engine to stall easily when
letting out the clutch. I solved this problem by making a heavier flywheel but I'd suggest to anyone else that they use a Trackick 2WD
trans and clutch/flywheel.Either that or just rev the engine more when taking off.
As far as installation goes,you'll need a minimum of one inch body lift for the engine to clear the hood. I'm running 5" of suspension
lift so I didn't have to modify the oil pan. I got my electrician friend to do the wiring because it looked like a nightmare to me. Since
you're planning a career in this field it might be a good project for you though. You'll need a wiring harness off a Sidetrack,shop manuels
for Samurai and Trackick ( for schematics and emission info) and plenty of time and patience. Most people are using high pressure
fuel pumps to feed the FI but we used a Tracker gas tank with it's internal pump to do the job.
Good luck if you try it.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 08:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Max,

I know Eddie from Spidertrax ha a 16v. Maybe you can ask him for tips. Try him at [email protected]

If you come across a 2.0L in a totalled vitara or the 2.6 V6 from a GV for that matter, please let me know. I'd really like to dump the V6 in my Sam, but i would just as happy with the 2.0

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. So the 2wd track/kick tranny should bolt up no problem and that will solve the flywheel and stalling? What are the rp's on a 2wd track/kick? the same i guess as 4wd. Yeah i think you are correct, im doing the wiring on my own since this IS my field supposedly. You would at least hope i could do something to easy as splice and dice. What about motor mounts, do they need modifying and did you use an adapter kit? I wont have to if i find the 2wd tranny though i am assuming. Im spoa with 41/2 suspension+ML's so that should cover the oilpan, but the hood wont close otherwise huh? Hmm well i hate body lifts, but one inch is acceptable. How did you adapt the tracker gas tank in? Fab a new mounting point in the rear. Your info is truely appreciated rollerskate, thanks for sharing. I hope to do this before zukimelt. Max

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 08:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I got the 1.6 8 valve and DID NOT require a body lift, not sure about the 16 valve though

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 10:12 PM

Yes,the 2WD tranny will bolt up (or so everybody tells me) but the shifter comes thru the floor pan in a different place,requires a
little sheet metal work. Also the tunnel might require some massaging (big hammer) for clearance. I used the motor mount that
came with the Calmini engine adapter kit but I used the old method of mating the engine to the Sam tranny,weld ears on the trans
redrill the holes and bore for a dowel. I went to all this trouble because I feel none of the adapter plates on the market give good
enough alignment and since I'm a machinest this kind of work is easy and cost free for me. Much easier to use the 2WD tranny
even if you have to pay a premium price for one. Note that if you do use one that the intermediate drivshaft will have to be shortened
a couple of inches and I believe the cross member has to be modified.
Even though i didn't do the wiring I know it's a little more complicated than "dice an splice", but not impossibe. Along with the
Trackick harness get all the related parts off the firewall (coil,igniter,etc.),the ECM and the instrument cluster since there's a speed
sensor in ityou'll need to adapt to the Sammy speedo. Since smog regs on the Left Coast (Kalifornia) are pretty stiif I had to hook up the
pressure sensor to my power steering.
I needed 1" of body lift to close my hood. You could leave this mod to last and see what happens. My buddy took care of mounting
the gas tank,and i think it only required modifying one or two mounting points.
All together this swap is a pretty big job and since things always take three times longer to complete than we plan (at least for me)
I wouldn't attempt to do it before the Melt. Just my opinion.
Oh yea,one more thing. The 16V is a cool running motor and the Samurai radiator will be quite adequate as long as it's in good
condition.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode