Calmini 40mm Sidedraft Carb Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Calmini 40mm Sidedraft Carb Problem

I have the dual Mikuni 40mm sidedraft carbs with the 'New-Mikuni Intake Manifold' which is pretty much the same as the original one except the mount for the water neck is angled. On this new intake the water neck interferes with the choke cable mounting bracket. I really want the use of the choke so I need a replacement water neck. Does anyone know if there is a special water neck I have to use for this intake and where I can find it? I am going to try Pep Boy's tomorrow and see if I can find a generic water neck that will work. Thanks

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 1.6L, Calmini 40mm Mikunis, Pacesetter header, 2" exhaust, MSD 6AL ignition, 5.5" SPOA, 1" shackle lift, CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31" High-Tec retreads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-403662-Intake.jpg (69.2 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Calmini 40mm Sidedraft Carb Problem

Just thought I would throw this post up top again to see if anyone knew the answer. I went to Pep Boys and Autozone with no luck. Someone mentioned that MR.Gasket offers and adjustable water neck but don't know if it is small enough. I will have to check the local speed shop then maybe scout the junk yards.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 1.6L, Calmini 40mm Mikunis, Pacesetter header, 2" exhaust, MSD 6AL ignition, 5.5" SPOA, 1" shackle lift, CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31" High-Tec retreads.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 05:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Calmini 40mm Sidedraft Carb Problem

it would be easy to make an adapter. Just trace the gasket on a piece of 3/16" (or so) aluminum, cut it leaving a flange the same width as the 2 mounting tabs. Mount it to the intake manifold using countersunk screws. Position the housing where you want it pointing and drill two holes in the adapter to bolt the housing to

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 01:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I looked for one for many years, no luck. You might maybe try to make your own. Pick up a solid chunk of aluminum and start drilling, cutting, and grinding. It might take most of an afternoon up, but the chuck o' metal shouldn't cost more than $15-20.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 02:01 AM

I've made a thermastat cover out of billet aluminum before and it was a lot of work even with a mill and lathe. I like Zookys idea of
making an index plate to clock the water neck around,seems like the fastest way to do it. If you don't want to attempt it yourself you
might see what a machine shop would charge. I doubt you're going to find a useable piece at a parts store or wrecking yard.

P.S. I was looking at your picture again and it looks like just raising the cover up might give you the clearance you need.If so all you
would need is a spacer.
rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 07:46 AM

Hey Tim

I can bring the plasma cutter over and you could make a spacer pretty quickly, then clean up the rough edges.

"Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon!"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 06:51 PM

I might have a solution for you.Last night I noticed that the thermastat housing on my 94 16V engine has the neck angled 30 degrees
counter clockwise in comparison to a Samurai housing. In other words it faces at a right angle to a line drawn thru the two mounting
holes. Other than that it's identical. Hopefully this would give you enough clearance.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I called Steve at Calmini today and he said it was a casting problem with that style intake and said that there wasn't a replacement water neck. He said if I move the the choke mount to the back carb that I can use the choke on just one carb. Then I can use the stock water neck. He says they are in the process of fixing the problem.

I do not like this soulution because I planned to use the choke as a hand throttle. If I pull it out and the engine should idle up to around 2500 RPM. He said I really don'tneed the choke unless I live in a really cold climate.

Thanks again. I will let you know what I find out tomorrow at the Suzuki Dealer.

Tim Martin
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Hey Rollerskate - What model vehicle was the 94 16V out of so I can order the part tomorrow? Tracker, Sidekick, etc...

Tim Martin
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 07:49 PM

Tracker,same as a Sidekick except for the trim packages. If you turn them upside down they all look the same.

rollerskate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode