Thiefs and door locks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Thiefs and door locks

Well they did it again. My '91 was ransacked again. I don't have any locks on her and I never keep anything of value in it but somebody decided to go through it AGAIN. Three times in three months and countless other times is enough so I'm looking for some doorlocks. Dose anybody have a set of locks with keys they want sell? I need all the clips and everything because the previuos owner didn't beleave in having locks on it.TIA
Adam

Big Bear,

I'm not crazy,I'm perfectly INSANE![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 07:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Thiefs and door locks

sorry to hear about that, I know how you feel.....been there many times before. I myself never lock the doors, I never leave anything in there anyway. Just let them look around, its better then having them rip the top or break any glass.....then you would be out some money. Thats just my humble opinion though.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 07:26 PM

If they are using a screwdriver or something similar to break the door locks, you may want to consider a barrel lock instead. Granted they won't keep the professionals away, but it should keep away some of the amateurs.

I had a Mazda pickup that was broken into twice. Both times they busted the driver's side door lock (denting the door each time). Shortly after the second time I sold the truck before I got around to putting in the barrel locks (the ones with the round keys).

Looking at the door of the 86 that I just bought, the thieves went in through the driver's side door lock (it HAD a fiberglass top on it before that).

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Installed small red and blue flash led comb in front window
scares'em no one comes near Sam at night.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 10:22 PM
Old Hand

Kando, good idea, where do you buy led lights at? Did u just wire them directly to the battery?

-Ryan
'88 Sami. locked, Warned, lifted, geared. Two track mind
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 10:37 PM

RadioShack sells flashing LEDs in little housings. You can connect them to a couple AA batteries with an on and off switch hidden somewhere under the dash. The batteries will last forever. LEDs draw almost no power. I did this on my old Sami and am about to make one for my new Sami just haven't gotten over to RadioShack yet. The whole setup will run you less than $10.00.

Or, you could install an 8-track player in your car (no one will want it), leave the doors off and put a couple rubber dog poos lying around the interior... people are afraid of dog poo.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 10:50 PM
Old Hand

LOL capn, thanks i'll try Radio Shack tomorrow.

-Ryan
'88 Sami. locked, Warned, lifted, geared. Two track mind
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 11:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

leave the doors off and put a couple rubber dog poos lying around the interior... people are afraid of dog poo.

LOL, I'll have to try that. My dogs sure aren't afraid of it, they eat the stuff.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Poster: rgd
Subject: Re: Thiefs and door locks

leave the doors off and put a couple rubber dog poos lying around the interior... people are afraid of dog poo.

LOL, I'll have to try that. My dogs sure aren't afraid of it, they eat the stuff.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hahahaha that's funny. when I bought my '89 it had puke in it and nobody seems to bother that one. I wonder why. The led lights only scare the honest criminals. If they want your ride they'll test the system to see if it's real and if it is they come back later to disable it take it. BTDT
I'm just sick and tired of cleaning the mess that they leave behind that's all. If anybody has a set of locks that's great if not no biggie.

Big Bear,

I'm not crazy,I'm perfectly INSANE![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 02:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

LED as Capn_Crunch suggest Radio Shack would be best place
to get LED. Most common is red color emission Common Leds are 3 to 5volt dc and 20 to 30ma cost $1 something.

Radio Shack sells special blinker type red color $1.??

kewlesst is newer type blue color expensive $2-$15 blue flash looks like law enforcement.

I used one red blinker type from RS and series two green and one cheap blue led. Check Ebay

Wire to 10 amp fuse white/green wire which is continuous 12volt curent about 17ma 1sec. duty cycle flash.

Was going to add switch to turn off but have not got around to yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode