Getting Swampers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Getting Swampers

Ive thought about it a lot, and im going to buy some swampers. There 33x12.5 TSL's, 4 of them shipped to my door for 735 bucks canadian. They have 1/8" tread worn off, even tread wear, and no major damage.
Im going to put my 83 off to the side for another year, again, and drive my 87. Ill run my 83 t-case.
Ill have them in early may.

Anton

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 09:39 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Getting Swampers

What size rims are you going to run?

Here are the pics I promised. This one is of the 33" Swamper, it's about 1/2 worn, check out the tread still left.

This one is on the Zuki, it's the 29" Swamper, also bias ply, but it's new.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 10:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

That looks like you've got the old series of SS TSL tires. The tread patern on my brand spanking new ss TSL SX tires is MUCH! tighter than the ones in your pic. Mine are 29x10.5x15. Guess since I have a smaller diamater, the spaces between the lugs is smaller...?? I'll have some pictures up in a while to show off heheh..

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 10:58 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Can't be, the bottom one is a 29x8.5 bias TSL on the stock Zuki rim. Only the top one is the 33x12.5 on an 8" rim. I'd be interested in seeing yours though.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Jeepn can you fit a 33x12.5 on a 7" rim without having bad uneven wear? I have 2, 15x10's for 2 of the swampers, but need to find some other rims. My other 2 15x10's, the holes are screwed up.. Maybei can get some cheap special washers or somthing to use them?

Anton

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 02:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

WHOOPS, looks like you're right, just went outside to check.. one lug on the outside for each lug in the inside... or something. Guess I was tricked by the picture.. I'll have the pictures of my tires and zook on the net in a while.. I'll edit my home page to show all the pictures soon also..

later

got zook?
http://www.geocities.com/bik3r
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 04:28 PM
I Do This For The Glory

They're going to stand really tall with no weight on the tires, and they won't flex worth a damn on 7" rims. I can do it with a jeep weighing over 2 tons, but not a Zuki weighing 1 ton, I'd try to stick to 10" rims if at all possible. Check on the Jeep BBS, most of the guys run the thinner rims to avoid throwing a bead aired down. I'll bet someone has some 10" rims laying around. Maybe look to trade some 5.5" Zuki rims, my older brother's eyes lit up when I told him mine were 5.5" wide and cleared disc brakes. He's now looking for a set to put on a Willys, to run the 34x9.5 Swampers.

Oh, one other problem we found on Yankee Tim's Zuki was he lost about ALL of his turning radius, it was really bad. If you can, get the seriously offset rims to run them on, or maybe Toy axles.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Jeepn, i got 2 15x10's that are good, and have good offset. Ill be throwing the rear springs up front to move teh axle forward a bit more.. Might put on a body lift too. If i can find a cheapass fix for these other 15x10's i have ill run them. For off-road that is.. i shouldnt run them on the street. (the bolt holes are screwed up).
I was looking throught the summit racing catalouge and noticed they had some wheel washers. What are these for?

If your 33's are half worn, how much tread is worn off?
How worn would these 33's i want be with 1/8" tread worn off?

Do you know anyone who has some 15x10's and willing to trade for zuki rims? I only need 2 15x10's as my other ones are still good.

Anton

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 01:16 PM
I Do This For The Glory

They should have 24/32" on them new, and I'll bet that's right on the money. So 1/8" would be 4/32", so they should be in the 18-20/32" range. You can buy a tire depth gauge at about any automotive store for $2 (US), I love mine, but I'd like to get a durometer as well.

Mine have from 12/32" to 16/32" on them, the one with the hole in it has less wear because I favored it more.

I have no idea as to what wheel washers are used for, sorry.

You should post over on the Jeep BBS, just mention that the Zuki rims are 5.5" wide, perfect for the 32 or 34x9.5 Swampers, and that they clear disc brakes. I'll bet someone will swap.

I don't have any 10" rims to swap, or you'd be welcome to them, sorry. The widest I have is 8" wide.

Are you buying these sight unseen? You may want to confirm with a tire depth gauge they have the amount of tread advertised. If they don't, let the guy know and see if he'll take less, kinda like pro-rating a tire. $745 CDN is $478 US, and since the tires go for $129 each new, that's $516 US, without shipping ($20 a tire US), so they're nothing to get too excited about. I'd offer less as well, just point out the fact they cost about that new. I calculated the exchange rate at http://http://www.x-rates.com/calculator.html, so it's using current figures.

If you like and want them, and are willing to pay that, by all means get them, they're a good tire. They're also hard to find used, and anytime I can save some $$$, I jump at the chance.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2001, 01:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Lost turning radius is an understatement.

With the 2" BS on 33x12.50, I get no rubbing on the spring packs in s SpUA, which is the worst for this problem.

And with the 8" rim, I can air down to 5 psi and I haven't popped a bead (yet).

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode