got me a Zuk - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 12:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

got me a Zuk

Gang,
I posted for the first time last week, was looking at getting my first Samurai and I did. I have an '87, 99K miles in very good stock/original shape. It still has the Suzuki mud flaps. Came with a Bestop top which needs a few snaps replaced, a fastback top with torn windows & a good bikini top.
One of the first things I want to get is a seat, the drivers seat is a little twisted out of shape. Would seats from a newer Samurai be a good bet or what seat from another vehicle would be a good/easy bolt in replacement? I will have a lot more questions & have to prioritize the list of mods I want lift/tires/gears/lockers etc., etc., to turn it into a streetable trail rig.
Safety is important to me & is where I want to start. I would like a cage, any recommendations on this would be welcome. I see Calmini & Petroworks both sell cage kits, let me know what you think.
AndyB
Longmont, CO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 01:39 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: got me a Zuk

Seats from a newer Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift are easily converted for a Samurai and are much more comfortable. Most any import seats that have flat bottoms and are not too wide are relatively easy to convert since the Samurai have runners that just bolt to the bottoms of the seat. I have heard of all kinds of different seats being used. I have Honda Accord EX seats in my '93, but they were a pain to convert because the bottoms were not flat which made it hard to bolt the Samurai runners on them. They are a great improvement, but I would recommend some that are easier to modify.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 02:18 PM

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are. I just picked up an 86 soft-top with 33k miles about a week ago. Other than a crappy paint job, it is completely stock.

I'm in the process of looking into the Canyon State Components shackle reversal kit which will give about 4.5 inches lift using stock YJ leaf springs. Enough to clear 31's which is plenty for the time being. Top priority is a full cage. I was looking at the Petroworks and also the http://www.Davesport.com cage.

Mark
1986 Suzuki Samurai soft-top
1999 Toyota Tacoma
http://members.home.net/marvinmartian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Andy,
Brent at Trail Tough has a nice cage as well as alot of other Samurai parts.
Rob

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 09:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey bro, glad to hear you got a zuk man. on the lift man, the csc kit is AWSOME!!! i got it, here is a decent pic of my junker. this pic was when i didnt have any shocks, or 4wd workin. i am also open diff, i drove completely into the twist with no problems. you will like it.

on the cage, i have dealt with brent (trail tough), talked to gary (petroworks), both are really cool.

congratulations agin on the new zuk man.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 10:07 PM
Can't Get Enough

This is "MY OPINION" If your a hard wheeler (or going to be),I would see into a Dave cage or Brent's(trail tough). Petroworks is boltable, good if you don't know how to weld or just want it for show. But for me it has too many bends in it, thus making spots prone to failure. I'm NOT saying it will fail, but the less bends the better. Please if someone has rolled hard with this cage I would like to know the out come. Just again I'm not bashing! I'm just putt'n in my .2 cents

Bill Forrest!!...........Off-road champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 10:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bill,
I know what you're saying, the Petroworks cage is an easier install & would afford some protection but not like a weld in full cage. I don't weld but I know a good welder & probably will work with him. I like your Suzuki, can't wait to have mine in shape to do some wheeling.
AndyB

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2001, 09:25 PM
Can't Get Enough

Thanks Andy,
It still has a ways to go, after ditching the missing link's and the CJ pack. going YJ soon till I can figure out coils.

Bill Forrest!!...........Off-road champion.
http://www.geocities.com/zukybill/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode