Swamper TSL/SX differences - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Swamper TSL/SX differences

Whats the differences between the Swamper TSL and Swamper TSL/SX? I know about the sidewall lugs and that the SX is a different type of tyre, but is there anything else? Tread differences? Rubber hardness? Tire stiffness?
Thanks..

~Anton

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 07:50 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Swamper TSL/SX differences

Go to http://www.intercotire.com for the specs on all the tires. Both the TSL and the TSL/SX are bias ply, the TSL generally runs thinner sizes than the SX. The tread patterns are about identical as is the rubber composition. I have seen both in action many times, and own two sets of the TSL's, 33x12.5 and 29x8.5, both 15 inch. I also have some 33x10.5 radials, but you didn't ask about them.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

How do they all work in what conditions? Overall which is a better tire, the SX or TSL? Tell me bout the radails

Anton

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 10:35 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I'd rather not tell you about the radials. Almost everyone...nope, everyone I know, has gotten rid of them. I think they suck personally and you're better off with a set of BFG Mud Terrains.

I like the thinner TSL's rather than the wider SX's. I have seen very capable jeeps float around on hills due to the tires being too wide and not getting any traction. The SX is nice in rock, due to the sidewall protection, but I have had very good luck with the TSL's in everything. They will gum up in the Maine mud in the spring, but I have seen Boggers do the same thing. Without the power to clear them, anything will cake up.

I am probably going to go to the 32x9.5 TSL on the Zuki, or maybe the 31x10.5, I haven't decided yet. IMHO, traction is a function of contact pressure. Too skinny a tire and it'll dig and not allow movement, or act as a roto tiller, too wide and it'll float, even aired down. Too skinny isn't really a problem with a Zuki, but it is on the Scrambler, where a 12.5" wide tire is optimal. The reason for airing down isn't to increase the contact pressure, it allows the tire tread to wrap around an obstacle like fingers on a hand.

Yankee Tim tried out my 33" Swampers on his Zuki, and ran through Glenn's TTC course for Zookin' 2K with no air in the tires. It looks like there's 20 pounds in there though, so don't get the 8 ply sidewalls. What size are you thinking?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

BFG's eh?? I hear they have VERY hard rubber and suck.. I thought all swampers would be better than BFGs.

I want to get these 33x12.5x15 Swamper TSLs, somone wants to sell me. Its 745 bucks canadian, for them to be shipped to my door. There currently on a toyota. he has around 2000 KM on them and 1/8" tread wear. I think its a pretty good deal, do you?
Are you running beadlocks?
Do you have any good, closeup pix of the swampers in action, or any pix of them on Yankee Tim's truck?

Anton

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

JEEPN check out my new signature [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 11:27 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Check out my pictures at http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...&a=9589757&f=0. I think they're going to be too stiff though.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2001, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Who's zuk is this? What kind of tyres? How tall do the 33x12.5x15 TSLs measure?
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

Anton

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2001, 01:19 PM
I Do This For The Glory

That's <font color=blue>zooky</font color=blue>'s rig, he was running 32x10.5 Swamper radials. See how the tread is woven together so tight there almost isn't a break? That's the reason they don't work as well.

Here is <font color=blue>yankee Tim</font color=blue>'s rig with my Swampers on it. There is no air in the tires. My tires on 8" rims are a little over 33" tall, and they're about 1/2 worn.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2001, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

How much tread (in a fraction of an inch), is half worn? These swampers i want have 1/8" tread worn off.
Why do some radials have sidewall tread sortof like the SX, then some have sortof like the TSL?

Anton

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode