WHAT TIRE SIZE! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 07:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

WHAT TIRE SIZE!

HELLO I AM A NEW-COMER TO THIS SO EXCUSE ANY MISTAKES,
I WAS WONDERING IF I RAN ABOUT 75 TO 100 H.P. (KNOWING ITS GONNA COST ME AN ARM AND A LEG TO GET IT THERE), WHAT IS THE MAX TIRE SIZE I SHOULD RUN FOR IT TO BE A DAILY DRIVER, AND TO BE ABLE TO LUG ME AROUND PRETTY GOOD. I WAS THINKING (MAYBE DREAMIN')OF 35'S WITH 5.83 R&P BUT IT JUST SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE!

STUDLY, 92/235'S/ STILL BUILDING!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 07:36 PM

Re: WHAT TIRE SIZE!

That setup should work okay, or maybe some 33's? It might be hard on your clutch off-road.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah somebody told me to run about a 33 inch tire with a 5.38 R&P but that sounded like a pretty twisted set-up because I know of guys that use the 5.38's for 35's! I would like to go with 33's though, it just sounds better with the h.p. range I am dealing with

studly
92/235's/ still building!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2001, 02:52 AM
zukiman

I have a 1.3 liter GTi/Samurai hybrid motor, stock 3.73 axle gears, and a Petroworks GRS2 transfer case. My Samurai is my daily driver, turning the 34-inch-tall Swamper SSR 33x14.50's. They're a heavy tire, but I have no problem around town or on the highway. But it is quite a powerful little motor too, more powerful than 8-valve 1600's.

-- Geoff Beasley

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2001, 07:18 AM
Can't Get Enough

My Samurai has 33 Baja Claws and 5.38 gears with a stock 1.3 engine and a Weber carb. It's a daily driver too. The gears are a bit low for highway use, but not bad. They are great on the trail tho. If you're gonna do a lot of street driving, I'd say go for the recommended 4.56 gears or the 5.12's from a tracker/sidekick. These are stout little trucks, but remember, when you start adding heavier mods, the weak links are gonna show up sooner or later. Good luck.

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2001, 09:10 AM

There is a world of difference in what has to be done to a Samurai to fit 35's on it vs. 33's. Besides, 35's are well beyond the limit that stock Samurai axles can handle. Some 33's would be just right - look at some Zuk's rinning them & you'll agree.

OILBURNER [email protected] 1988.5 Samurai, VW 1.9L Diesel,
GRS II, Toyota Axles w/ locked High-Pinion Diff's w/ 5.29's,
BFG 35's and more....

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2001, 09:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I WAS LOOKING AT A 33/31 (31 BEEING THE LAST) INCH TIRE TO BEGIN WITH BUT HAD A FEELING I WOULDN'T BE GETTIN' OFF EMPTY HANDED WITH THE 35'S! BUT I WILL PROBABLY UPGRADE MY AXLES WITH THE HEAVY DUTY AXLES CALMINI HAS TO OFFER AND JUST RUN THE 33'S FOR SAFE KEEPING!, THOSE AXLES ARE ACTUALLY MORE THAN I WOULD THINK YOU COULD PUT IN A SAMMY AXLE!!!

STUDLY
92/235'S/STILL BUILDING!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2001, 09:46 AM

You gotta hammer the stock rear sam axles pretty good to snap 'em, although I have seen it done on more than one occasion [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] The Real issue is the FRONT axles - the Birfield joints. If you are an agressive driver and are determined to keep the Suzuki axles, go ahead & pony up for the Trail Tough front replacement axles.
http://trailtough.com/
They are expensive, but are the best available. The Birfield rings will <font color=red>NOT</font color=red> be enough for 33's + a heavy right foot!

HTH,

OILBURNER [email protected] 1988.5 Samurai, VW 1.9L Diesel,
GRS II, Toyota Axles w/ locked High-Pinion Diff's w/ 5.29's,
BFG 35's and more....

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2001, 04:36 PM
mike shannon

i ran some 33s with a set of 5.12s and it is a pretty good all around set up. i still run them and i have broken one rear axle and blew out a side kick front chunck. but i asked for it both times if you drive with some common sense it is a good set up. and if you want to go to 35s just bolt in a 4.16 tcase and rock on. later mike

88.5ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode