failed smog - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 08:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

failed smog

Is there any one out there, who can read a california smog readout, excessive HC and excessive CO, how can I lower the the out put ppm and %. My CO limit is 1.14. I measured 5.51 just a little over. Am I still looking at carberator adjusting? The timing is off, but not much, 2-4 degrees, idle is 200 rpm off. In california thay take away your first born, just being 50rpm off. not too mention the cost of the smog check, and a resmog if you pass. what a raquet! can any body help?? But other than that, it runs good, better without the smog junk. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 09:52 PM

Re: failed smog

2-4 degrees off on you timing could definately screw things up. Check you O2 senser too. Replace all of your vacuum hoses if you haven't recently and make sure they are hooked up correctly. Give your Samurai a good tune-up to factory specs. Maybe adjust your valves while you are at it.

Crow Horse used some kind of gas additive that is supposed to get you though the smog check. I saw the stuff for sale in Walmart automotive section. I also dumped about 4 bottles of IsoHeet and filled up with premium before my smog check. I don't know if it helped but I am pretty sure it didn't hurt.

I think I ended up paying $150 to get my '86 though the California smog check. They only thing the dealer did was adjust the timing.

Good Luck,

-Farther
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2001, 10:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks I think i adujusted the valves 2mils over too tight, I'll retime it also tomorrow O2 senser is new and give it a pretest, and take it from there, thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 09:38 AM

Man I would hate to have to take a smog test.. I would really fail.. Thank goodness I am Canadian..... More-so and Nova Scotian.. we don't have smog tests.

-How many injuries or mishaps have happend after saying to you friends, "Hey, Watch this!!"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2001, 10:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to deal with smog tests all the time for customers and myself.You did not say if your sammy idle smoothly or not. If it idles smoothly and you can't get the idle down to within specs you have some kind of vacuum leak you need to fix that first. If it does not idle smoothly you could be on the right track if your valves are to tight they will realy mess the % up.If you have a non stock cam (performance cam) forget about smoging your sammy.The shop your took it to should have told what you needed to fix your problem if they can't take it to someone else that knows more. If all else fails and if you can get your idle down put a new cat on it(kinda costly)99% of the time this will make a motor pass. Good luck sun62

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 09:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I used "Garanteed To Pass" according to directions. When I filled up again, I used 94 octane with several bottles of dry gas (iso type).
Here's a link that Scott Whittmore sent me that helped out a great deal after I failed my first test. Hope it helps....

http://www.autospeed.com/C_articles/...1/article.html

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 09:47 PM

im glad they dont test in SC with no conv id fail for sure

see ta quent

88 zuki,s/r,header,1600,locked in the rear and weber carb. with mitsu seats and 2"inch pipe
87 zuk spoa (new project)
IF GOD IS YOUR CO-PILOT SWAP SEATS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode