Ring gear diameter in the Zuki Axles? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Ring gear diameter in the Zuki Axles?

Anyone know the ring gear diameter in the Zuki axles? I know the Toy's are 8", the D44 is 8.5", but what are the Zuki's? Also, what is the axle shaft diameter as well. Anyone have that info?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 11:23 AM

Re: Ring gear diameter in the Zuki Axles?

there 2x2x1 inch deep and the axle shaft is about as big as your pinky. Mark! Give me that gumba's number in maine down here, Johns number, i need it presto!!!! I want to set up a deal for those two parts rigs...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Give me a break. Nothing better to do than sit around during a "snowstorm"? Hey, did you hear this is the largest Nor'Easter to hit the coast in 50 years? Glad they told me, otherwise I wouldn't have known. I'll bet MONEY we get 4"-6" out of this, tops.

2x2x1? I suppose one part of that is supposed to be a diameter? I know the shafts are large than a pinky, unless you've gained 400 pounds since Saturday. OK, anyone RELIABLE have any figures? How about a spline count? My brain is churning again and I have some funky hybrid thoughts going through it. I know there's medication I can take, but I'm cheap and don't like to spend money.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 12:52 PM

Hey those were highly engineered scientific numbers i had to churn out for you ya overpaid over engineering brownie pusher! Cant you see were in the middle of the next ice age! Heidi and i were at block buster stocking up for our free weekend HA LOL we bought x men on dvd and "the cell" for her and rented scary movie. How lame are we.......at least we shall eat well and be warm till the power goes off from all the snow taxing the pwr lines.

Like i say, stay stock. Its cheaper for lockers and easier for trail repair with more parts to access for WAY cheaper. What are you gonna do? Haul extra toy axles around or dana axles? You have to buy them first. For 200$ you could have an extra samuri for parts, or drive it till you need the parts.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Actually it was for my own curiosity, I have the sizes memorized for just about every other axle, but know very little about the Zuki's, so I'm gonna learn.

I'm leaning towards the D44 rear with a narrow track D30 front. I have spare parts for the D30, and they're cheap, I just need a 4.88 R&P and a lockright ($240). The GOOD thing is I'll probably never break the D44 with the 33's, and the D30 should hold up well also, especially with the light weight and no power. I already studded the hubs, and it has new joints as well, and discs. The rear parts are cheap, except for the shafts, which hardly ever go. I have another carrier; bearings and shoes are very inexpensive items as well, and a mini-spool for it. All in all, I think it's the cheapest way to go without spending a lot of money, while getting beef and not a lot of added weight as well. The rest I'm leaving alone, except for maybe a T-90 tranny added in there for the extra low ranges.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 08:23 PM

If memory serves I believe the ring gear diameter is 6 7/8". I could check tomorrow if you want.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Please, I have gotten no responses from this.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 10:50 PM

After thinking about it I'm sure 6 7/8" (6.875) is correct,I measured one a month ago. In comparison a D30 is 7.2", a Trackick rear
is 7.5" .

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 10:21 PM

Jeepn,
I measured a ring gear and some axle shafts this morning. Found the ring gear is a liitle bigger than what I told you. It's 6.92".
The rear axle shaft and front outer stub shaft is 1.03" in diameter at their smallest point and they both have the same 26 tooth
splines.The front inner shaft measures .885" at it's smallest point and has 22 tooth splines.

rollerskate
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

That is AWESOME! It's exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I was wondering how it compared to the front D30. The D30 is 1.13" dia with 27 splines, and the ring gear is 7.125" in diameter. A little larger but not a whole ton. They're as common as common gets, since jeep people tend to shatter them. I figure they'd be a nice swap into a Zuki. A little added width, not much weight, and cheap parts sound good to me.

This one had a 258 behind it and was running 34" Swampers, teeth stripped off it like corn-on-the-cob and the kernels are laying in the bottom. This was his 3rd axle, so now he's swapping to a D44.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode