Need more juice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Need more juice

Ok here it goes. The stock fuse that is between the battery and alt broke on me. No prob, so I replace with a section of 8 gauge wire to find it actually takes a detour before going to the alt. it runs into a cluster of wires that go into the cab. Today my winch (Warn M8000) dosen't have enough juice to pull out another vehicle and when I try to use it my tachometer needle jumps like crazy. What the heck is going on? Battery to small (Diehard) or do I need a G.M. alt. upgrade? Also, if i need a alt. upgrade would I actually be getting the full benefit seeing how the juice from the alt has to run through such small wires before reaching the battery? Help me guys !!!

-Ryan Primel
Suzuki, Jeep, Chevy, Ford, who cares, as long as you're out on the trails wheelin'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Re: Need more juice

oops one more thing. I've noticed my battery is not grounded to the body like some other Samurais i've seen, what is the benefit of that?

-Ryan Primel
Suzuki, Jeep, Chevy, Ford, who cares, as long as you're out on the trails wheelin'.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 10:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ryan,if you want to work on that at the FAB FEST ,you can see how i did mine and we can upgrade yours.i ran my alt wire to a splitter and then to both batteries.i get 13.5 to 14.3 to my winch.i would be glad to help and i have wiring diagrams to do this,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If there is a bad connection for the winch, it could be feeding through the instrument cluster or any other circuit. I fixed my grounding problems with some braided battery strap attached at a motor mount bolt and bolted directly to the frame with a serrated lock washer and 3/8" bolt and nut. I was getting freaky instrument reactions under electrical loads ie. all accessories on wide open.

88 Sam 4.16t/c,lockrite rear,225-75's on stock wheels, 4.5 spoa
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanks Rick. I should really fix it before Fab Fest though. I plan on getting stuck MANY times before then I thought for sure someone whould know what is causing my problems. Pipe up guys

-Ryan Primel
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 10:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ryan,i would say check and clean battery cables and all grounds.clean all the selonoids on winch.take a jumper cable and ground your winch to your battery direct.that will at least let you know if you have a proper ground between the winch and battery.90% of all electric problems on a vehical are the ground.hope this helps,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanks Rick. I have zero corrosion on my battery posts and winch connections ,it is grounded directly to the battery. I'm stumped. Do you think i'd be better off to run 2 diehard medium duty batteries, or just one Optima? I think the one I have now is around 600 cold cranking amps.

-Ryan Primel
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 04:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hi ryan,i run two 800 cca batteries in my sami with a 100 amp alt.dual batteries are nice and easy to do,good luck,RR

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 07:23 PM

I think I know what your problem is. I had the same thing back in December. Doing almost everthing yours is and worse. Look for the problem in your wiring harness. Suzuki engineers must have been on drugs when they designed this. The battery feed to the alternater and fuse box ties in together in the harness. Trace the wire to the harness. Cut away the tape and you will see where they connect. They are also wrapped in a shrink wrap but don't let that fool you. Cut that away. there is a crimp connection and it is either rotted away or is about to. Mine was hanging on by two strands of wire. I had never had corrosion on my terminals but this wire was surly corroded. Hope this helps.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanks Sami I'll try doing just that. Which part of the harness was your problem in? In the cab or in the engine compartment??

-Ryan Primel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode