T-Case Gears are In!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
WSB

T-Case Gears are In!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh Yeah, how sweet!
I can't believe what a difference the Calmini T-case gearset makes. Unbelieveable.

Low range is totally amazing now!
High range seems like its better on the highway but because the speedo is way off
is feels like there isn't any change. Have to figure out far the speedo off.

The gears went together extremely well, no problems at all. The quality of the
one piece gear is excellent, no noise whatsoever from the gears.

Wayne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 05:35 AM

Re: T-Case Gears are In!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got mine last week,serial number 247. Apparently they're selling like hot cakes despite some of the lies that have been posted about
them (experimental,flaking metal,etc). The cluster gear is one of the best examples of machining I've ever seen. I can't wait for
Calmini to bring out their Rockcrawler 2, it's supposed to be more than 5 to 1 reduction.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 07:16 AM
MRLoneWolfe

Good luck with your gears,they make what use to be hard to crawl over,simply easy!!!you will find lots of enjoyment now you have them..Happy wheelin!

MRLoneWolfe-1988Sami SPUA,5in Cal-combo,locker,TSL Thornbirds,YOR-bumpers and rockrails,Sidekick seats,z-link,YOR-pumkin protectors,1.3+.030+Torqer cam, YOR-hood latch kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 08:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm glad you guys got them in and are very happy.

As you may know, I've been a long time proponent to Calmini products. They have a good deal of precision when they make things. I've only seen high quaility from them.

As far as the rumors about Calmini stuff failing, including the most recent bashing of their A-arms, it's bullsh!t. Petty bellyaching, IMO. And as time goes on and people begin to realize that the products are good, folks will realize exactly what I mean.

THE EMPEROR WEARS NO CLOTHES!!!!!!!

Good luck and look for upcoming gearing combos that will rock the world.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 09:25 AM

I want to change my t-case gears but I'm not sure how complicated it is. Looking for some input. Oh and I'll definitely be using Calmini gears. Yankee Tim--- Are you ever gonna build them exchange????

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
WSB

It not difficult at all, the only problem we had was finding
the tool in the shop so I could press the bearings off and on.
You only need basics hands tools, and you could have a
machine shop or garage press he bearing off for you.
Wayne

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 10:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

"despite some of the lies that have been posted about
them (experimental,flaking metal,etc). "

Rollerskate... I'm curious, and please explain this to me in clear detail. How is stating that something is experimental a "lie"? The gears have not been out long and have certainly been on no-one's rig with more than 15,000 miles on them. No one knows how they'll hold up long term. How is "experimental" a lie? And be clear with your explanation if you presume to hold any credibility whatsoever....

BTW, Suzuki gears have seen million and millions of miles at this point. We know they are durable.

P.S. I would be asking Rollerskate this offlist by private email if he didn't want to HIDE behind anonymity by not putting an email address on his profile.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
WSB

Glen,

Sorry that this such a sore subject. I didn't mean to get anybody upset this post.
After the intial test drive I am very pleased with the gears, only time will tell how well
they hold up. I still need to test them out on the trail. But like I said the before low
range is incrediable compared to the stockgears. And my high range is back to where it
should be for the highway. The quality of the gear and machine work looked absolutely
fabulous. All the other parts in the kit were factory Suzuki stuff.

Wayne

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 01:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's all that counts. You bought some gears and are happy. We did the same thing with Mario when the Rocklobsters first came out. Ours was one of the first kits purchased. I realized they were new, future problems could arise, and accepted the risk. Folks that do the same nowadays with 1 piece gears have the same accepted risk. We're only saying that we carry proven Suzuki genuine gears.

When some anonymous clown calls me a liar for giving a 'heads up' on a potentiality...then sparks fly.

Very good that you are enjoying your new gears. I've always said that tcase gears were the single most beneficial upgrade you can do to improve a Zuk's offroad capability.

Still interested to hear Rollerkate's explanation of how he arrived at his accusations. Or just say nothing and admit his error.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 08:37 PM

Wakefield,
It's no secret to anybody thats followed this BBS or viewed your website that you spew nothing but venom towards
Calmini. I used to be a fan of yours but your constant ragging against them has soured me and others against you. Your
statements about " experimental gears" weren't a lie (my mistake) but were obvious attempts to scare people out of buying
the Calmini product. Your inference about flaking metal is an out and out lie,no doubt about it. I think you were trying to get
people to associate the one piece cluster gear with the Richmond ring & pinions.
I've run several sets of welded T-case gears and they work fine,I've never said otherwise. The three different gear shops I've
spoken to said this is an acceptable way to join gears but it MUST be done properly and that you will always get some runout.
If a welded gearset is placed in a case half and rotated this runout can be detected (the ones I got from you were the worst).
By finding a quality gear manufacturer and investing a large amount of money Calmini has attempted to go one step ahead of
everyone else in providing T-case reduction gears. I applaud them for doing this and holding the price down. I've checked their
gear for runout (using a pin between the teeth and a dial indicator),inside diameter and overall thickness,everything was dead
on.That these gears run quite is an indication that tooth form and helix angle is correct. Since the correct metal is used (8620)
that only leaves the heat treat process to assure longevity of the product. I'd be willing to bet that these gears will last.
Does this explain my case in clear enough detail for you Glenn? If you want to reply offlist as you mentioned there is a provision
at the top of this page for doing so (it says "Send Private"). However I'd prefer to keep this debate public,unless you've got
something to hide.

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode