Jumped clutch switch disaster?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Jumped clutch switch disaster??

I jumped the clutch switch on my buddies 88.5. The switch proved to be faulty. It fired right up no problems. After several test starts, it seems like the starter never disengauged and developed a burning smell inside the passenger compartment. We shut it down quickly. After a cursory inspection, we tried to restart it and it would not start (no cranking). Any ideas? We ran out of light and the temp dropped like a brick. We'll look at it in better conditions. Untill then, I'm not sure where to go from here.....

Just prior to his not being able to start the motor, he had a stereo shop install a radio. Could this be a coincidence or could they have fouled something up? Thanks...

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 07:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Jumped clutch switch disaster??

I bypassed my switch in 1995. No problems since then.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 09:09 AM

sounds like you put a wire to grond that should not be? if it had a low draw it would take a while the wire would start to heat up and start melting thats wire you get the burning smell. but also the stero shop did the same thing. but its to much of a coidience that it happened right after you wired it up . you might have hit a wire the stero shop left exsposed and put it ground . i have figrued out that everything electronic runs of smoke. once you let the smoke out it doesnt work anymore. LOL

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 11:29 AM

Crow,
This happened to a friend honda once. I just want to tell you to be careful. We were driving and all of a sudden the starter re-engaged and would not allow us to shut the car off, we pulled to the side and attempted to stall the car, but the starter just kept it running, after trying to stall the car for about a minute I was going to pull the ground off the battery, but it was to late, the dash was in flames. After getting the fire out and some investigation we found that the starter was grounding itself out and that is what was causing it to stay engaged and that is what caused the fire. Anyway, just wanted to say... be careful.
Talk to you later.

http://suzukisteve.rockcrawler.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 01:07 PM
Can't Get Enough

I by-passed the clutch switch on my '88.5 (which by the way makes for a great little anti-theft device). I just make a wire to clip into the plug after I pulled it off the clutch end, it completed the circuit and allowed the starter to engage. No problems. That should not be the source of your problem if you just did something similar. It sounds like you have a bad short at the starter. My starter just went out [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] without warning but not related to any electrical glitch. They run about $89 at Autoworks - not the cheapest starter around! Good luck.

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 08:17 AM
MRLoneWolfe

Crow,Did you get it figured out?Definatly sounds like grounding problem..

MRLoneWolfe-1988 SAM I AM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Haven't figured it out yet. What or where should I look for a grounding problem? Thanks!

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Could this problem be caused by an ignition switch that won't return from the start position, allowing voltage to the small wire to the starter?

All Good Medicine,
Crow

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 12:04 AM
MRLoneWolfe

could be in the safety switch,or the button is stuck under the peddle?I dont know if there is a relay under the dash ill look tomorrow and see where my grounds are Also check under the hood if you look down under the air cleaner neck there is a wire on the starter it is a push on(one wire)This is the wire that trips the switch(at the starter end)The other end is at the peddle where it attaches to the switch button...

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 09:45 AM
MRLoneWolfe

Crow,Any luck with your ground problem?Let me know!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode