4X2 Conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

4X2 Conversion

Help! Found a '93 very low mileage Sami 4X2. What all is needed to convert to 4X4 besides front axle and transfer case? And, has anyone on the board done this? Any help would be appreciated.

Larry Robertson
88.5 Samurai-Under construction,Calmini header,2" exhaust,Breeze shackles, Rockcrawlers, 30's, Sunport top, gray suede paint (primer)
Way too much horsepower is barely enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 03:31 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: 4X2 Conversion

I just finished a 2wd to 4wd on a 1993 Samurai around Thanksgiving. If you already have a parts vehicle, it won't cost much at all to convert and is simple enough. In addition to the tcase and 4wd axle you will need the following:

1. A complete tcase shifter assembly,the rubber boots, bracket, etc.
2. A ubolt bracket and ubolt from a 4wd axle for the passenger side only.(the ubolt assembly from the 2wd straight axle is too small for the short side of the 4wd axle)
3. A front driveshaft
4. A 4wd instrument cluster, if you want a 4wd indicator light

I think that is everything.

Note: If you don't have a complete front 4wd axle that's in good shape, all the front axle components from the 2wd, from the knuckles out, can be used with the exception of the 2wd spindles.
My front 4wd axle had a good diff and shafts, but from the knuckles out was shot, so I rebuilt it using all the practically new parts from the 2wd axle along with new seals/felts, etc.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 03:48 PM

RZ, What part of SW "Mizzura" are you from? I've got relatives out that way...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

To: Brown29

Thanks for the quick info. That's what I love about this board. There's always someone on here that has done everything there is to do with a Sami.
I know where there are a couple of donors that could supply the stuff needed.

Larry Robertson
88.5 Samurai-Under construction,Calmini header,2" exhaust,Breeze shackles, Rockcrawlers, 30's, Sunport top, gray suede paint (primer)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Re: To Capn

Well Capn, I live in Springfield, down in the SW corner. Our most famous claim to fame, Bass Pro Shop. About a driver and a 3 iron from my office.

Larry Robertson
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 08:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: To Capn

RamblinZuk, Get in touch with the guys at http://www.zukisouth.com. They did one and could probably help. Good luck. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 11:12 AM
Can't Get Enough

The newer EFI Samurais around here are usually a lot more expensive and harder to find than the early models, but if you can find a good 2WD model, the price difference will pay for the conversion even if you have to buy a tcase and axle. I'd definitely recommend it if you can find a good 2WD for a good price.
The most work involved in the whole conversion was rebuilding the 4WD axle I already had.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

The '93 that I found, has less than 35K miles, and can be bought for around $3K. I figured with a donor parts car that I can pick up for $500 or less, I can do the project, and sell the remaining parts, and still have less than $4K in it. Depending on sale of extra parts, even less. I really am more interested in having a low mileage Sami with F.I. than anything. I'll hang onto the 88.5 that I'm building also. Seems like most everyone here has more than one, and I don't want to be in the minority! Will probably build the '93 as "stock" unit, and go crazy on the 88.5. We'll use the '93 as a motorhome "toad" and the other one to play with.

Larry Robertson
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 11:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know a guy who has one. It is fuelinfected which is a definite bonus as he can't drive & keep all 4 wheels down. The swap is very straighforward. Good luck finding a JX dash for the JS. Next to impossible... or very expensive when found.

JC Garrett
91 Samurai JS
[email protected]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 07:18 PM

I did my '92 2WD to 4WD conversion about 4 months ago. I had a 88.5 parts vehicle to pull from. The only problem I ran into was that the 88.5 driveshafts use a smaller flange than the '92. I had to use half of the rear driveshaft for the rear (the splines match) and the 88.5 tranny to transfer driveshaft. It took me with pulling off of both and putting on the '92 about 6 hours. I had already taken care of the dash issue. You could just use a regular dash mounted light for the 4WD light. It would only cost about $5. Good luck!

FRANKENZUKI,10 foot tall and bullet proof!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode