Getting out w/o a Winch? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Getting out w/o a Winch?

If your stuck and nobody around to pull ya out or even worse, don't have a winch I've come up with this little theory. As far as a self recovery technique, I've never tried this, but if the tops of the tires are showing, thread some heavy duty rope through the holes nearest the outside of the rim, thread them through a recovery strap on each side. (both fronts or rears) and as straight as possable, anchor the other sides. Keep the tires straight, and go SLOW, just put it in gear as the tires spin, it will wrap the strap around the tire. Something has to give. Hopefully the anchor before the axles or driveshafts, but its just a theory of mine. I've never had to try it. A friend with a Blazer that has a HS95i and snatch blocks w/ lots of straps has served me well every time we go out. Would this work?

<font color=blue>Brian</font color=blue> <font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 02:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Getting out w/o a Winch?

Sounds like a come-along would be easier.

91 Suzuki Sidekick JX Softtop. K&N Filter, Aurora 8mm Plug Wires.
http://www.geocities.com/vtecsucks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well, this is kinda an idea, if you don't have any of that stuff I think this would work! A winch would be easier but everybody doesn't have one!

<font color=blue>Brian</font color=blue> <font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 03:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

good idea brian, i know if all else fails i sure would try it. ive always carried hi- lift jacks and come-a-longs. last time the come-a-long broke and the trusty hi-lift saved us. but now i got somethin else to fall back on. ine used heavy duty ratchet straps also. they work good but take a while

build it, break it, then build it better.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 07:31 AM
I Do This For The Glory

The military had something like this, it was a hub assembly that went over the lug nuts. It basically was a large spindle that comes out the side. You attach the strap to the notch and start driving slowly. It'll winch itself out.

That's all fine and good, but they were 8 lug rims with 1 ton or better gear, although I think the old Willy's jeeps had something similar. The spindle was fairly small so as not to create too much torque and shear the lugs off. I think the base remained attached and the additional piece was installed later when you got stuck. It also only worked in a straight ahead direction. Something like this could be made easily and adapted to a Zuki.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Cool, I didn't know that and I'm in the military! Go figure. Anyways, thanks for the leason.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 08:06 AM
4xRonin

I remember seeing these things in the mags about 15, 20 years ago. They had them for most common wheel lug patterns but they never took off. I would think you there would be too many instances where it wouldn't work without a locked diff. But when your stuck by yourself, sometimes you gotta think outside the box.

Scott Whitmore
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." Dalai Lama
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 08:40 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I don't think the "new" vehicles have anything like that, they just add a winch, which is more versatile. If I can find the old book, I'll post some pics.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 08:41 AM

i seen that on Mcgivor once. i just dont get stuck unless someone else is aroundi try to aviod those problem places . but incase i ever do the old ceil phone comes in handy if i have no signal i would turn the galxie on and turn the 450 watt linear on and i no i could get somebody then

RUN IN TO YOU LATER
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 08:51 AM

The best/safest route when you are stuck by yourself with no winch is to have some chain/rope/tow straps and a hi-lift jack. You use the high lift to get each stuck tire above the suction of the mud, then stuff something under the tire and lower the jack and move to the next stuck tire, keep doing this until the vehicle is completly out of the muddy suction, then you can try to gas it out or use the high lift as a come along. Even a winch will have a hard time pulling out a vehicle completly sucked in by mud. A winch is still good but the hi-lift is still the best value.

"Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode