Health Issues - READ THIS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Health Issues - READ THIS

I am not looking for pity, sympathy or anything else, but I want to explain this to others. I saw the Neurologist today (finally after 10 months) and he pretty much agreed with the conclusion I had arrived at. The Neuropathy (tingling sensation in the outer layer of skin) that I have had for almost three years, is from the long term effects of chronic over exposure to solvents, thinners, and methlene chloride fumes (paint strippers). This was 10 - 12 years ago, young and dumb, and didn't believe the label that said "WARNING overexposure to fumes can cause brain and nervous system damage". Well, I am here to say that it can and will! Now I will probably have to live with a portion of this for the next 40 years. They are putting me on drugs to counter act the symptoms, but until the genetic research is complete in about 10 years, and they can regenerate nerve tissue, I am stuck with it. So, heed the warning labels, use Nitrile gloves on your hands, and use a respirator when around fumes. I sure wish I had. It isn't what you would call debilitating, but it is really annoying when you can't thread a nut on blind anymore because your damn fingers are half numb, or worse trying to caress your mates cheek, and can't feel the softness of her skin...... Even when I get hydrocarbons (oil, grease) on my hands, it flares up, so take warning!.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 07:59 PM

Re: Health Issues - READ THIS

It really does damage?!? I never wear gloves when handling that stuff.. better start doing so then, shouldnt be too late. thanks for the warning tim.

~Anton

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
http://www.geocities.com/antonsheng
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 08:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

TIM,SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE PROBLEM.THE GUY I WORK WITH IS THE SAME WAY-ZERO FEELING IN HANDS,ITS SAD,SO YOU GOT MY ATTENTION,I WILL WEAR GLOVES ALL THE TIME,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 08:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Tim,
sorry to hear that man. i have that problem sometimes in one finger, but thats becuse the nerves have been cut before. i agree about the warnings, although, i will be the first to admit that i dont follow them. i will have to take heed to the warning. you know, sometimes things dont begin to sink in until it happens to you or somebody you know.
sorry again to hear that man.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 09:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

That sucks Tim, sorry to here that! Since I work with injured people and their blood all the time, I've always where my gloves then and have lots of medical gloves that I put on everytime I work on my truck! Lots of my friends think I'm a wimp and don't want to get my hands dirty, I just tell them that they will see later on in life. I'll have to get them to read this post! Thanks for the warning, It might help out a few younger guys here...ANTON!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Brian</font color=blue> <font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 09:33 PM

Yeah, Brian, i get my hands in everything, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, gasoline, whatever, i never wear gloves.. Im going to now tho.

BiLLybOb go on ICQ so we can chat.

~Anton

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 09:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Anton, you need to put this below your name..., since your the youngest one on the board (I think you are). Plus, I think its funny! Better then the WIERD pic's you have [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Brian</font color=blue> <font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 09:46 PM

lol. Whats wrong with the pix i have? Dont you like the new one i have on there? haha. To my knowledge im the yougest :^)

~Anton

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

It's weird to explain, my hands aren't numb so to speak, they have a constant feeling in them similar to when a limb has "been to sleep" and is almost back but not quite. I still have all the normal feelings, hot, cold, pain, etc., but the very surface where the ultra fine sensory endings are located feels like the sense is washed out. I can feel a small nut between two fingers, but I cant tell if it is on the flats, or sideways. It is this constant abnormal feeling that is really annoying. I guess the best way to describe it is I can feel everything in my fingers, but can't feel everything with my fingers, if that makes sense. It also is in the legs, and the bottoms of the feet, like your socks have a wrinkle in them. The medication is supposed to alleviate a lot of this, more of a normal state, we shall see. I think the worst culprit was constantly having my hands soaked with solvent and turpentine. Anyway, it is a lot better news than finding out I had some degenerative disease that would kill or put me in a wheelchair. Stress seems to make it worse, best advice I can give people other than stay away from the chemical exposure, is to learn to not take life so seriously and relax and enjoy what you have and take a good look around. The world is a beautiful place if we just open our eyes and let a little sensitivity sink in. Having seen how it is on the other side of the Atlantic, I can tell you that we all have it very good, and should be very thankful. My Fiance'e went to college for six years, two years of residency, and three years as a Doctor of Pediactrics, and she makes about the equivalent of $30 US a month. Go figure.

TGT - NCO

www.northcoastoffroad.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 07:29 AM
4xRonin

Tim, Thank You for sharing this experience. I too will now pay more attention to these warnings. I'm sorry I had to learn the lesson thru you though. Please take care.

Scott Whitmore
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." Dalai Lama
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode