Pacesetter Header-opinion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 09:35 PM
Loweguy

Pacesetter Header-opinion

I remember this thread being up lately...so bear with me.

I am about to order a new bed cover for my Frontier, and since I'm buying over $150 at J.C. Whitney I get to use my 15% off coupon. That being said, I was thinking of having a PaceSetter header thrown in the order as well as the $97 price tag is pretty appealing.

I remember the way the last post went-that basically you get what you pay for and some have not had good luck with the PS lasting. I would just like to revisit this, and weigh whether the performance gain would be significant enough to merit the purchase of a header at all for me.

As it happens, my exhaust is currently very low-hanging anyway so I was planning either to order the pipes to make my own high-flow system or take it to a muffler shop and have them custom bend something in 2" with a turbo muffler.

Either way, in conjunction with that, it would seem the header install would be timed well.

Okay, let's hear it. My reason for considering the cheaper route is strictly that this truck is a. a low-buck toy and b. not a daily driver. The truck should see several weekends of pounding this summer, but truthfully will likely not rack up 1000 miles all year.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Michael O

-01 Nissan Frontier XE King Cab
-00 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
-88 Samurai, 2" Sky Manufacturing body lift, 1" Desert Steel lift shackles, 31" Mud Kings on Summit chrome spokes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 09:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Pacesetter Header-opinion

Mike
I think that Glenn has one on his rig. One of my friends just put one on and has no probs at all....

DannyL
Pony Express

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 09:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We bought a cheapo header once long ago with the though in mind... Hey! Ist cheap! Fell apart quickly. and we had to spend the money all over again doing it right with a Thorley the 2nd time.

You get what you pay for.

http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 10:54 PM
Loweguy

Glenn W,

I tried to look at your place, but your site is down

Michael O

-01 Nissan Frontier XE King Cab
-00 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
-88 Samurai, 2" Sky Manufacturing body lift, 1" Desert Steel lift shackles, 31" Mud Kings on Summit chrome spokes
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 11:24 PM

I've kicked this idea around and I've further aggrivated the situation by putting a 1600 in the Sami. I hear some headers don't fit. But, after long debate I've decided to bite the bullet and go with a more expensive header. I know the extra cost sucks but if I buy cheap and it fails I'm going to have to spend even more to get the expensive one. I don't know what PaceSetter's policy is on exchange. I figure that if I bought the more expensive one that there might be more company backing if I had a problem.

Just my 2 cents

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 12:10 AM
Can't Get Enough

Good luck getting it through JC Whitney. I waited almost three months with it on back order and then canceled my order.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 2" longer shackles, Modified CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31x10.5-15's, Hi-lift jack, and a crapped out 1.3L engine.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 12:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spend the extra money and get a Doug Thorley. You won't be disapointed, Lance

87 Sami conv. Header 2" ex. 4-16 t-case, 4"lift,weber, rear lockrite,rancho's, and a very long wish list.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 06:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a pacesetter I got from jcw .I got it in about 2 weeks and it fit perfect,no problems so far.I have only had it a few months.sounds great with no convertor and a 26" cherry bomb.

87 JX weber,header & 2" exhaust,Camo paint, removable doors.soon to have custom 2"lift
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 09:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have one on the wildweasel, I think I got a bad one as it didn't fit out of the box. No one else has reported the same problem. (It exited directly into the frame crossmember BTW..)As I had allready cut my old exhuast off and
had just rebuilt the engine, I cut and bent it to fit,
and other than really abusing it off-road, It has been okay.
I was able to make the whole 2" exhuast W/2" cat for the cost of a better header. Would I get a thorley if I found one someone was selling ? yes. They are a much nicer product. But for what I paid for the pacesetter it is allright. (Not really a glowing testimonial..)

Glenn Loud
87' Zook Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 10:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If you're saving money and it's just a trail rig, then the Pacesetter would do you just fine IMHO. Glenns works real well from what I've seen, and he's right about the savings.

If you decide to go the distance and get a higher end header, I suggest the Calmini over the Thorley. The Thorley uses round tube welded to a square hole flange to match to the exhaust ports. This is bad for flow. Calmini flares the ends of the tubes to become retangle, matching the exhaust port of the 1.3 head. Being an old VW head, correct porting of exhaust headers is important to get every little bit out of small motors.

Calmini also installs the O2 sensor in the collector, where all 4 cylinders can be read. Thorley installs it on a tube so it only reads one cylinder. Not good for getting correct 02 readings.

Thorley has "smog cert", but it was grandfathered in and never had to actually pass the testing, so I'm told. Calmini is still waiting for approval on thiers. But we out here don't need no smog certs, so the point is kinda moot.

From an visual standpoint, the Thorley has nickle chrome, the Calmini has alumicoat. Alumicoat is what you see on really expensive headers and is really impervious to various goo. The nickle chrome looks cool at first, but will discolor and such like motorcycle exhausts over time, especially in our neck of the woods with the road salt.

Just want to give you some facts, rather than hype.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode