Failed Emmissions Test - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 08:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Failed Emmissions Test

Hi everybody and HELP!!! I know that this is just a bump in the road but it is frustrating. I have an 87 with 82000 on the odometer, we all know that could easily be 182000. My sami came from California so it has all the emission controls imaginable. It failed the tailpipe emissions inspection, specifically the HC ppm, the limit is 750 and the reading was 1398 at idle and 1148 at 2500rpm. All other readings were well under the limits.
I knew the test was upcoming and I changed the plugs, rotor and cap. Also changed out the wires as they were a mismatched set and were looking pretty bad. Changed the oil and filter. Adjusted the valves(cold .006 intake and .007 exhaust) and set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC as the sticker under the hood stated. The only other thing I have done recently is put on a petroworks alternator.
I have a o2 sensor on it's way up but don't know if that would even make a difference. The inspector suggested that I do a compression test, I will do that, but don't even want to consider having to rebuild the engine just to pass this test.
Like I said before, give me some idea's please. Has anyone played with the valve lash and timing in order to pass an emission test? or anything like that.

Glen
Calmini S/R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 09:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Failed Emmissions Test

hey tinker,there is a product out called RESTORE.i live so far from work, i buy high mileage cars and drive them til death does us part.the RESTORE,fills in the scratches in the cyl. walls and seals better.if you have bad rings [broken] it will not help.i have checked my compression before and after and the compression did come up,thus less oil getting burned.also when you do the next test if its warm enough use 50 weight oil or higher to keep it in its place.last but not least,i have installed an air pump off a smog car and ran tube into exhaust pipe[so they cant see it]and pump fresh air into exhaust pipe.hope this helps,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 11:30 PM

According to the FSM, excessive hydrocarbons are caused by an air-fuel mix that is not burning completely. Here's the list of possible causes-Engine not at normal operating temp.(wrong thermostat???), vacuum hoses leaking, misrouted, disconnected or obstructed, vacuum leaks, idle mixture maladjusted, faulty or sticking choke, timing off, MCV bad, feed back system malfunctioning (ecm & 02 sensor). Hope this helps. If you need additional help send me a private message.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 12:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My 87 failed the Ct emissions test once and if you have the stock carb check the two little springs on the carb for the microswitches. The spings were missing on mine and i guess with the switches both off it confused the computer Put them onand all was well. There is a test in the FSM to check them also. Just a thought. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 06:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check your EGR valve. Maybe even take the time to pull it off and look inside it. Mine was full of caked oil and crud. Also check your mixture. Some places will do a four-gas test without charging you an arm and two legs. This will give you an idea of what checks, tune-ups, and such have improved your readings without having to take it to the emissions station every time that you "think" (like I did) that you have fixed it.

No worries. Life is Good.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 07:10 PM

ok, if you promise me not to lough...

I bought one of those "FuelMasters" at JCWhitney for 22bucks...

I hardly passed smog inspection before here in chile (max. HC ppm is 100, I cam in at 86 - this was 6 weeks ago)

last week i was pulled over and they checked my gases the value for hc was 22!!!!

there were only 2 things i changed in the period of the 5 weeks between the measurements: Switched to Mobil 1 and the FuelMaster.

both measurements were taken at oficial test points. The fuelMaster claims to improve gases up to 80% and improve milage up to 15-20%

I was very sceptical at the beginning... but i have 2 official readings... and it will pay for itself within weeks/months

alfred

ps: just search for fuelmaster on the web.

'95 Stofttop, K&N, Snorkel, 4,5" SPOA, 31" BFG MT, 4,16gears, W5000 winch, skidplate, rear Rancho 9000 - other than that its bone-stock
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 08:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the idea's. I finally did a compression test and got the numbers were 155 on 1 and 2, 150 on three and 160 on four. So without a doubt it is time for a rebuild. But honestly, the engine is not as bad as this sounds. I am not smogging out the neighborhood and although I have always wanted more power it has done a great job of taking me to work and home and gets about 22 mpg. I am going to try a few of the things mentioned and see if I can still pass. At least then I can decide when in the next two years I want to do without the Suzuki.
FuelMasters, I may have to take a look at that one.
Thanks

Glen
Calmini S/R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode