Dale earnhardt's number retiring petition! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Dale earnhardt\'s number retiring petition!

Hi guys,

I just saw this on another Bbs and thought it was an excellent idea on how to invole ourselfs in the Death of Nascar greatest Lengend and do our little part in the honnor of Dale Earnhardt. Feel free to check it out.

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/DaleE3/petition.html

Yannick
1999 Zr2 4.3L 31x10.5 BFG M/T's
1987 hardtop Zuk in the horizon... now just coming up the Hill, Almost there...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
http://lukinfomud.homestead.com/frontpage.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 04:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Dale earnhardt\'s number retiring petition!

retiring a car is one thing but to retire the number! i don't think so. If we retired the number of all the drivers who were heros of all racing aspects we would have to start somewhere in the 100 or even higher. The man was an icon and will always be remembered, but I think there shouls always be a #3 as there is a #43 and #45 and the #8 and #28 should i go on because there are more and will be more. The number being retired would only help us forget the man without the number racing somewhere in a Nascar event. Yes display the flag with his number yet it shouldn't be alone either, Adams and Daveys and Kulwiki's, Kennys,fireballs, etc etc the list goes on. There are more fans than just Earnhardt fans its just that he has been with us so much longer. Yes it will be hard to envision a race without Earnhardt in it but time will heal as it always does. There are other things to do to memorialize him ,Nascar could make the Daytona race limited to the Daytona 499 after all if the race had been only 499 laps he'd still be with us . They could retire the number for the remainder of the 2001 season and have Dales car as the pace car for all Nascar events. France needs to be thinking more in that direction than retiring a number, after all France makes too many decisions already dealing with the life and death of our Nascar stars for his own pocket book. I would be interested though in a petition to sign to keep the number 3 flying so if you find one please feel free to let me know.. Thanks and happy tails

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Good point you got there, I can't say I don't agree with you on most points.

I really would like to have the number 3 flying again in respect to Earnhardt in some years, but I don't think its a good idea to let people (pardon the term) "Steal" the number right away while it is still hot to gain some moment of fame. And people where currently already speaking of taking over the number three even though the corspe isn't cold yet (expression). And that I have a hard time tolerating it.

As for now, This is the only way I see that I can prevent people from using his number in the Next few years. I beleive that when the time is right, The number should be put back on the track, but it should also be allowed to keep it out of the track for at least a while and this is a good way to do it. My bits!

Yannick
1987 hardtop Zuk in the horizon... now just coming up the Hill, Almost there...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
1999 S10 Zr2 4.3L 31x10.5 BFG M/T's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The number three is really owned by Richard Childress and Nascar cannot allow another team or driver to use it unless the Childress team give it up or allow it to go unused for more than 1 racing season. The only number that Nascar has control over to my knowledge is #1 and the current champion was allowed to use that to show they were the winning car and team for the previous championship I still think a year of retirement also gives the racing community and the fan base time to grieve and think of a proper tribute for the car and the number. I also like to think that racing community is so differant from the other sports. They are more down to earth with the fan base and stars we can actually be proud of. No other sport can claim that as of yet! I still see Davy Allison everytime the #28 car races and Richard Petty is always in my mind when the #43 hits the tracks, I am not so sure these drivers and others would spring to mind if we took away their numbers to pay homage. The #22 and #12 of Bobby Allison the #42 of Lee Petty the first Nascar Champion and the list goes on. We can only compare their styles if we can remember them and a good way to do that is to see their numbers forever, running at 180+ MPH on a fast Nascar speedway... You and many others are right to think that way I did at first of retiring #3 but as you can see I've changed my mind for what I think is a good reason..So I can always see him and other fallen heros of the oval..Forever!!. have a good day and Happy Trails!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

You got a pretty good point, But I never saw it that way. I guess it gets down to how we see the people...I prefer not to see someone else with another ones number, I think it's kind of weird...Dont'ask me why, It just feels that way. But your point is right... I see what you mean. Thanks for the enlightment!

Only fools do not change their minds...

Happy-Off-roading!

Yannick
1999 S10 Zr2 4.3L 31x10.5 BFG M/T's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 09:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I believe i heard on the radio today that richard childress is not using earhardt's 3 or a black car for the rest of the season. He is goin to run a white number 29 i believe.

I live in Bristol, Tn. Home of the worlds fastest half mile, The Bristol Motor Speedway. They had a memorial in victory lane last nite and over 2500 people showed up. PLUS, theres a memorial setup under the main entrance sign and traffic is backed up jus like it was race weekend.

I myself was never an earnhardt fan but i did respect him greatly, he did things with a car that many thought were impossible. I honestly believe if he could come back and say what he thought about what happened he would simply say "rubbin is racin".

About retiring the number, i see it like this: davey didnt die in his car nor did kulwicki and richard petty is still alive. Im to young to know about fireball roberts. But is neil bonnets old number being used, i dont remember what his number was. Earnhardt died in his car, The black number 3 was HIS car. I believe it should be retired for this year and fly his flag in respect, and then see what everybody thinks next season.

Jus my .02 worth

Will
"It aint the wand its the magician"
Tread Lightly
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think Richard Childress should have the final say over the number 3, but I would like to see Dale Jr. get the chance to use the number. If Dale Jr. doesnt want to use the number 3 i would prefer that it be retired but maybe that isnt practical...maybe they could require the #3 to be black from now on.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 12:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It would take balls of unsurpassed sized for another driver to ever race under the #3.Its like sleeping with your dead best friends wife,its just not right.I really think it'll be a long time before any rookie would even try it.Even though his son could pull it off.

Drive it like you stole it!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 12:24 AM

I saw on the news last night where people were storming into stores and buying up anything that had a #3 on it to make money off of it. Thats pretty sad. If you go on Nascar.com, they have a notice saying that they are pulling everything #3 from their stock and not selling anything from it till the madness dies down. I think thats a good way to show some respect on their part. They said they don't want people trying to make money off a fallen hero. I don't blame them.

Bill

Sprungover`71 Jeepster w/lotsa goodies
http://www.geocities.com/billm18641/
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey zukinut, man are you lucky I was at Bristol race last year for the night race when my favorite driver (Rusty) actually won the race. I still think nothing should be done until at least this years season is finalized, however the number should be retired for the rest of the 2001 season. The car should be either used as the pace car at the beginning of each race or run directly behind the pace car at the beginning of each race.
I too wasn't an ardent Earnhardt fan but am a fan of all Nascar drivers even ugh Gordon hmmm that WAS hard to say..LOL. I just think Earnhardt was definately a step above and beyond the others only because of his method of driving. I think only he could or would be able to get away with it and it was expected. In the movie "Days of Thunder" if you remember the two drivers being reprimanded about the banging they were doing during the racing sections. These two drivers actually did have Bill France in their faces about these racing tactics and were told too COOL OFF! Dale Earnhardt and Goef Bodine were the two drivers this happened to.
It is interesting though when so many people expose their views and why they think the way they do. Yet take one year from now and you will see such a differance it would shock you.
P.S. zukinut if you come across any TIX to what I feel is not only the fastest half mile but also the best track throughout Nascar, I would be definately interested. By the way do you guys have any trails down there worth driving all the way down from NY (Yankee country)..LOL Happy Trails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode