axle swap( 90 to an 88) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

axle swap( 90 to an 88)

Fellow zuks:
I have been in the shadows of this board for awhile and have got a TON of info from you all so I guess it's time i step up and post I am in the process of swaping out spua(88 hardtop) for spoa( 90 softop) axle that will go on my hard top sami I don't think this is a bolt in swap so if anyone has done this and has some insight let me know..
Thanks
Anrkyjoe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 10:57 PM

Re: axle swap( 90 to an 88)

are you going to put them back spua or go with the spoa all the hard ware for both should be there

Trail Walking(arkansas trails) on Tenn Walkers , the first 4X4[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 10:57 PM

Well it depeneds if your just swapping the axle housing. For the front, if your just swapping the axle housing theres no problem. If you use the 90 3rd member and all that, youll have a bigger driveshaft flange, and an aluminum front carrier in the diff. For the rear, either way youll have a bit of a problem becuase the 90 uses 1 brake line and the 88 uses 2 i think. Weird how it works [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

--Anton

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 10:57 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey dude, believe it or not, it is a bolt in deal if you have both zuks already. you will obviously have to use the steering n shocks from the spoa, the brake lines i belive are different, you will need the extended lines since it is spoa now. use the brake line system FOR THE truck, you may need to get another since your goin from a one brake line rear end (90) into a 2 line rear end (88). the only thing i can forsee that you will run into is the difference in driveshaft flanges. you will need to swap them on the diffs. you will also need drive shaft spacers.
think that bout covers it.
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 12:41 AM

I'm in the same boat. I have a set of 90s going under an 88. But I'm also using driveshafts from an 84 (solid) and a T-case from an sj410. Confusing?!? You bet! I was just gonna swap things until it all fits and make it work afterwards....

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 06:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

Joe, If you're wanting to know what's involved in the SPUA to SPOA part of the swap just ignore the following, but if you want to know about the differences in the early and late axle swap I can tell you about that part. I've swapped a late model rear end into an early model (but both SPUA) and I've swapped early model front end into a late model.

If you have an early '88 (with 2 rear brake lines) you will need to take both of the brake lines and your right brake cylinder off the early model and use them on the late rear end. If you have an '88.5 (with 1 rear brake line) it is a direct swap. If you have 12mm flanges you'll need to swap out the flange on either your driveshaft or pinion. You could also turn your small driveshaft flange 90 degrees and re-drill holes to bolt on your small flange shaft, but it's easier to just swap flanges.

The front end is a direct swap and the only difference would be the 12mm to 14mm flange size.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode