Elect. fuel pump advice... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Elect. fuel pump advice...

Sometimes I learn the hard way. Cutting corners many times is actually the long way in completeing a project. My fuel pump is one such learning experience.

I was plagued with failing fuel pumps. Not the cheapo kind, but a NAPA pump (Carter) which retailed around $65. They would last almost 1 year (almost to the day). 2 failed in snowstorms. Not fun.
I heeded the advice given here and maybe someone won't follow what I initially did.

Here's the advice:

1. Use a relay with 10-12 gauge wire. Better yet, also wire in a oil pressure switch for safety.

2. Solder and heat shrink (adhesive line for strength & waterproofness) all splices.

3. Ground the pump directly to the battery.

4. Route wiring neatly, use specific color wires so that troubleshooting is easier.

5. Bundle (ty-raps) and protect wires from sharp edges.

Maybe this will save someone from an untimely fuel pump replacement.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 09:28 PM
Old Hand

Re: Elect. fuel pump advice...

6. Puralator fuel pumps are best installed in the trash can!!

-Ryan Primel
'88 zuk, 1.6L, spoa, drop-links, grs1, 32's, Locked & Warned
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 10:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the same problem Crow with a few pumps. #3 on your list was my permanent fix. I could have sworn that I've preached grounding direct to the battery a few different times on the BBS though.

http://www.rocky-road.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Glenn,
Yep, you have and that was one of my first changes when searching for sollutions. Hopefully, this is the last I have to mess with it, but I'll try to run a parallel relay in the event one fails and maybe even another fuel pump as an auxillary back up. I'm tired of changing them in sub freezing weather. I believe now that it is grounded properly and is getting maximum voltage, the pump's lifespan should be increased. Time will tell.

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Any aircraft zookers out there that have any experience with dual fuel pumps? I would assume that in aircraft there are critical redundant systems. Aircraft can't pull over and wait for a fix of a tow. Splash......

All Good Medicine,
Crow

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 12:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Crow
I was thinking you could even wire the pump up to a secret switch and use it as an anti-theft device....

DannyL
Pony Express

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 05:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I am an aircraft technician, more on the avionics (electrical) side, but FAA licenced all the systems. The jets I work on use what is called 'motive flow' once the engines are running there is no pumps involved, no moving parts to fail. IF something was to happen, one engine can power the jet safely. The second engine is the redundent "system" for fuel on this jet. The only way the motive flow would fail would be contaminated fuel so you would not want to restart the engine and destroy it, then you would have problems! Not to mention these engines cost over a million $$ each. I have seen dual pumps before, they were feed through, meaning that fuel could be drawn through them when they were not on. Place them in series. Check NAPA, they may carry them.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 11:23 AM
Enthusiast

I've been using AC Delco electric fuel pumps for years on my project cars with no problems.The pump that I use the most is EP12S that is sized for 3/8's fuel line.Seems that I remember them costing about 50 bucks. Also look under any 90's diesel chevy or GMC truck and you'll find it cousin EP309 with a factory style electrical plug and "funny" GM style screw in line fittings so if you can find one of those cheap cut some of the steel line so you can slide a hose over it.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 12:48 PM

I run the Holley blue racing pump/regulator that comes with it on the dirt car. Im running it with the 32/36 weber. I set the regulator at 6. lb.

4 years and counting with 0 problems. I do have the pump mounted in the trunk directly next to the fuel cell, as the fuel pump pushes much better than it pulls fuel. The regulator is under the hood where I know that 6 lb. of preasure is reaching the carb and no more. I do have an oil pres. cutoff wired in as well. The only downfall to this pump could be the noise, as its a racing pump, and you can hear it when its running.

heres a link to pump and reg. on Holley website.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin.../12-802-1.html

88 sami spoa. 30 11.50 thornbirds. Body lift and Toyota Hemi coming soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode