Sidekick Diesel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 01:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sidekick Diesel

I've been considering dumping a diesel engine into my 91 JX. I know that in Asia, they offered a Mazda 2.0L, intoercooled turbo Diesel as an option, but this engine is rare.

Yesterday, I happen to go to Suzuki UK's site (www.suzuki.co.uk) and happen to find out that alongside the new Grand Vitaras and the Jimny, they also sell the Vitara Commercial (Sidekick, 2 dr hardtop, with no rear windows!). This truck is powered by a 1.9L turbodiesel. I'm wondering how hard it would be to obtain an engine/wiring harness/ECU and put it into my Kick. Anyone here know anything about these trucks? And how hard they are to find at a wrecker?

91 Suzuki Sidekick JX Softtop. K&N Filter, Aurora 8mm Plug Wires.
www.geocities.com/vtecsucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 02:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Sidekick Diesel

the sidekick 1.9td comes with a peugeot 1.9 td engine (french one) very rare in the united states.

Rui Freitas

Rui Alberto Sá Freitas
Livramento de Cima
1º Impasse da estrada do garajau n.º 9 e 11
9125-066 Caniço
Ilha da Madeira
PORTUGAL
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 02:40 PM

Simply snag that Keltec kit that is on Ebay, and get one of the Suzi vendors to help hook you up with a VW 1.9L TD. Then, there will be some modification to the adaptor plate to use the 'Kick tranny.
Sounds doable to me - you could be the first!

LOL,

OILBURNER [email protected] 1988.5 Samurai, VW 1.9L Diesel,
GRS II, Toyota Axles w/ locked High-Pinion Diff's w/ 5.29's,
BFG 35's and more....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 09:51 PM
Old Hand

See hear is something that I was taught in EMT class it's called K.I.S.S. which means Keep It Simple Stupid. I'm not in any way calling you stipid so don't get mad. What I'm trying to say is that if it's rare don't get it (I'm assuming your in the US) The way I look at it especially with a off-road rig and more so if it's also a daily driver. If it's rare and you break it your screwed. The VW swap is a good one though cause you can find parts pretty easy but that Peogot engine is going to be a pain in arse.

Driving off-road needs to be done well, like throwing a fly at a rising trout in dark, calm waters. Take pride in the task, and the reward is more than the destination.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 10:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not about your question.BOut ur name.

i just took a look at your site, now i understand y you dont like honda so much. You must of got really raped with ur car by tons of em. especially Vtecs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] hahahaha

~Goot
http://suzukigoot.rockcrawler.com/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 06:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, quite the opposite.

With a 500lb weight advantage, my 120hp (after mods) really got me places. Killed every Civic I met....... kinda funny when a 1.0L Turbo I3 has more torque than the Civic's 1.6 I4. It was all about weight and torque.

www.geocities.com/vtecsucks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 07:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hhmmm pretty good. can it kill V8s though as my bros prelude does? heheh, all in fun [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

~Goot
http://suzukigoot.rockcrawler.com/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If ya really wanna see a car that can kill V8's look at dodge's stuff like the Dodge Omni GLH ( Goes Like Hell )

SPEED KILLS BUT YA GET THERE FASTER

KTM 500

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

VTECs are capable engines, but as the saying goes, theres no replacement for displacement. Weight to.

Justin
Bbytrkr
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 02:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

IMO, the Prelude engine is the best in the Honda lineup. The Prelude's main problem is its excessive weight. That's why alot of drag cars use the Prelude motor in a CRX (lightest Honda).

Yes, I live in a town with ALOT of Mustangs(there's a popular drag track in town, Mission Raceway). I used to piss them all off when I delivered pizza.....

http://www.geocities.com/vtecsucks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode