Stuck Nuts- fixed- thanks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 03:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stuck Nuts- fixed- thanks

Need your expert advice. I was taking the tires off the Zuk and two of the lug nuts will not come off the drivers side rear. One spins somewhat easy and the other turns really hard. Both do spin but do not seem to be coming off after many rotations. It is as if the bolt is not secure and spinning in the back. The lugnut is recessed in the wheel so makes it difficult to see what is going on. I do not see how to access the bolts from the rear. Any idea's?

87 Zuk Stock in need of some Luvin
96 WR250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 03:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Stuck Nuts

Sounds like the wheel stud splines are striped so both the stud and the lug nut are turning.HMMMM Thats a tuff one, let me see if I can find a solution. What you need to do is find out if the stud is turning with the lug nut.

Hamish
1987 Samuri-Nothing worth braging about

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 04:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I had that same problem. I ended up taking a chisel and cutting off 9 or 10 of the lugs. All four wheels had some. only ended up ruining 2 studs. Was not a fun project. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 04:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

try to use a heavy duty impact gun. tighten them up first. hopefully they are not seated properly and when you tighten them with the impact it will seat them. then use the gun in reverse. should pull em right off. i had this happen with a 4 way. hit it with a mac impact and they came right off easy.when you do get them off fix the problem. you definately don't want this to happen on the trail.

build it, break it, then build it better.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 04:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had it happen too, but the impact wrench wouldn't work. I had to chisel them off and replace the studs. The rear studs can be found at NAPA or any other good parts place. Their easy to replace. Just take the drum off and then pond them through the back. Go back after a few days and tighten them a little more to make sure they're seated.

Thanks,
Shawn
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 04:43 PM

seems to be a common problem
I ended braking the studs with a hammer :*(
To prevent this to happen, I welded the new studs in the back (not that I'll recommend this way to go), luckly I haven't broken more since then
good luck
Crzook

86 Samy/1600/weber/header/rear locker/33's/warn8000/mud?
San Jose, Costa Rica
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 04:19 AM
Can't Get Enough

I had an uncle with stuck nuts. My aunt was aiming a little higher, but the butcher knife slipped.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 05:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

to get it off, remove the wheel with drum attached (remove the 4 nuts in the center). Now you have access to the back of the stud. Tack weld it to the drum and the nut should come off now. If the stud is OK great, if not, wack it out hard enough to break the tack weld and put in anothed stud.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 09:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks I give that a try today. If not I will resort to the removeal of the not and stud.

Thanks for all the replies they are a great help.

87 Zuk Stock in need of some Luvin[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
96 <font color=blue>Yamaha</font color=blue> WR250
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 01:19 PM

Your wheel studs are probably damaged inside the drum. I had mine spinning like this once, so i removed the 4, 17mm nuts in the center of the drum, then kick the wheel and drum off togeather. I put a few tack welds to hold it for now, you should probably get a new stud. I also had one which turned freely and didnt come off, it is probably stripped, so you have to use a pry bar or somthing to pull it away from the truck when your turning it.

--Anton

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode