Disturbing news about side coupler gears - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Disturbing news about side coupler gears

Do you own a '93 or newer Samurai? Has your Sammy (regardless of year) had it's sidegears replaced at any time? If so, listen up.

I have a '94 and when I installed my rear locker it wouldn't fit. Upon close inspection, we found a "ridge" on the tooth side of the gears. The ridge was about the thickness of a quarter. Older side gears did not have such ridge. I asked on the BBS, and no one heard of it. I spoke with Powertrax and they never heard of it. So I ground off the ridge and completed the install.

A year later it's making a lot of noise, so I figured it must be those side gears. Decided to order new SGP ones.

I finally found out what happened, thanks to Petroworks. Seems that Suzuki changed manufacturers of the sidegears in 1993, and the design changed. So '93 and up will have the "newer" style gears. All SGP replacement gears are the newer style, regardless of what year the application is for.

So, if your sidegears wear out and you want new ones, you'll have to bring the replacement to a machine shop and turn the "ridge" off. Or you can contact Petroworks and have them do it for you.

Letting you all know something new, at least to me.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 12:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Disturbing news about side coupler gears

Umm is the gear hardened? If not we should be able to turn it off if need be.

Glenn Loud
87' Zook Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Glad you found this so quickly. Not sure it they are cast or drop forged. In any case, would it be okay to find out on the 24th?

Bob and I will be able to do the locker/R&P install demo on a spare front chunk if there is time for it.

BTW, my check went out today to Tim Porter for a Hardcore 4x4 gas tank skid plate. I'll send Danny pics when it comes.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 02:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tim-
my check is dropping in the mail tonight for Tporters tank and tcase plate. Hopefully they'll arrive before the 24th....

dbenj
88.5 zook, mini mudders, 2"shackles,Thorley Header,K&N,Pony Carb,GM Alt,custom ski bumper,yankee off road hood latches.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

You'll really love the quality of the products he makes. Best on the market IMHO. And the price is unreal too. Similar quality products for a Jeep would be 2-4x the price.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 04:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sure I might have to get a bit creative on how to chuck them but can do! I have a set of fronts I will yank so I can
make sure we take the correct amount off. Sounds like we have plenty to do. I Have the small shop cleaned up and rearranged for the 24th most of the way. (Just need to run a sub-panel out there (I figure a 60 amp one will do)
so we won't pop breakers... ) This is the one on the house.
if we work on trucks and it is cold we will house them in the 2 bay at Moms. (I am cleaning that up this weekend too...)

Glenn Loud
87' Zook Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Wow

You're running a sub-panel for this? Man, you are the boss. I can barely get out of my own way and you're building houses.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 04:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Bla Bla Bla ,,,,, my check went out today to Tim Porter for a Hardcore 4x4 gas tank skid plate. I'll send Danny pics when it comes.........

Huh?
To make me jealous?

DannyL
Pony Express

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 05:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tim, what did it do to your diff? I ran into the same problem when I did a locker in the rear of my 87. I ground the ridge off with a LIGHT touch to avoid stressing the temper. I only ran it half a dozen times in attica and drive it a little on the street. What kind of noises should I listen for? I just put a locker in the front and it had no ridges. Went together real easy.

Thanks,

87 suzuski samurai
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

We ground them off too, lightly. Mine was fine for quite awhile. Lately it's been poppin' almost every time I engage/disengage. Real loud snaps. Haven't torn it apart yet, but I ordered new side gears ($32/each) and new thrush washers and shims just to be on the safe side.

I hope it's not a issue that you NEED the older style side gears. I called Powertrax today and informed them of the situation. Problem is they will NOT be revising the prodution, only the catalog to say the '93 up ad rebuilt diffs wont work without thier sidegears.

Has anyone had GOOD luck with their (Lock-Right) sidegears?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode