Narrow vs. Skinny - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Narrow vs. Skinny

Im a big fan of tall skinny tires. Im gonna run 29" swampers on my sami. I was gonna go with the 29x8.50 tsl, but i found a set of 29x10.50 sx's for fairly cheap. A sami doesnt way that much so the skinny 8.50 might not be all that necessary for cuttin thru the goo and the 10.50 might be sufficient. What do ya'll think.

Will

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 08:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Narrow vs. Skinny

thats what i started out with.do it ,i think you will like it RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 09:03 PM
zukiman

There are a few types of terrain where a skinny tire is advantageous (where you want your tires to dig down deep), but for 90% of terrain, I believe a wider footprint is better. Part of what makes a Samurai go so well off-road is that it's so light; it just floats on top of whatever the surface is. I've always used the analogy of wide tires being comparable to the tracks on a snowmobile or a bulldozer.

It is for this reason that I chose 33x14.50 Swamper SSR's to drive on, and I have a lightweight 33x9.50 as just a spare to save weight but have the same diameter (I'm locked front and rear). For the last 3 years I have used 33x12.50's, and I've tested these new 14.50's in terrain ranging from pavement, snow, mud, sand, and rock. The wider tires have outperformed the 12.50's in every terrain type, allowing me to go places that I've never been able to go before. And even when trying to spin my tires, I'm usually unsuccessful. These tires refuse to let loose!

--Geoff Beasley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 09:38 PM

zukinut, i'm runing 29x10.50 tsl sx's on my 88 & love them! they're heavy but bulletproof. i can run 5-6 psi with no problem (with their stiff sidewalls i could probably run 0 psi) & they hook up great in all conditions--even do ok on street. i recommend them!
cueball

cueball
88 hd-top,1.3with weber, calmini cam,headers & 2" exhaust, jacobs ignition, 3" national spua , 4.16 tc gears, 88.5 5th gear,29x10.50 swamper tsl sx's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Cueball,

Is a S/R enuf lift for the 29's or do i need to go with a 3" SPUA.

Will

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 09:57 PM

zukinut, i'm running a 3" national spua with custom shackles foe a total 4" lift. i don't have any rubbing problems (i'm thinking of going with revolver shackles or some sort of missing link set-up for more droop) i'm not sure about the sr & it's 2" lift (if your springs are't sagged to a negative arch!) , but i do recommend the 3" spua. drives good on & off road
cueball

cueball
88 hd-top,1.3with weber, calmini cam,headers & 2" exhaust, jacobs ignition, 3" national spua , 4.16 tc gears, 88.5 5th gear,29x10.50 swamper tsl sx's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Cueball,

How well have the nationals held up. I thought about the OME springs but ive heard that they tend to sag after use. Do the nationals do this?

Thanks
Will

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 06:32 PM

i've had the nationals on since 1998 & they have about 28000
miles on them-obviously a lot of highway miles but also some hard off-road use. had a 8000 lb winch on for awhile & still no noticeable sag. they seem to flex better and ride better with age & use. i just keep them lubed good.
cueball

cueball
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 01:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Samurai's one main asset is its size. This means light weight. This means flotation. Big wide fatty tires = more floatation. Give me a big ole' fatty any time on a Samurai.

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 11:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

"""Give me a big ole' fatty any time on a Samurai"""

Geez Glenn, I don't really need to know about your sex life!!!

LOL
<font color=red>couldn't resist...<font color=black>

DannyL
Pony Express

http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode