Trac Bar attempt - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 02:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Trac Bar attempt

This is my Oilburner/CSR traction bar knockoff. Thanks guys. I am going to test it out this weekend.

That is a rear of the axle view. The Ubolts are slighly tacked to the axle to prevent movement. I can still unbolt the front bracket to remove it from the axle though.

This is the frame mount setup; welded to the frame, with the Tbar on the top of the shackle.

How about some feedback?

JC Garrett
91 Samurai JS
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 02:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Trac Bar attempt

Very, very nice. Good job!

Now on to home-grown rear disc brakes!

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 02:58 PM

I really like your set up. The attatchment to the axle, is that a shackle too? Id like to see some more pictures of that. The shakle up front, in which direction is it moving? How did you mount it, just the bolts on the bracing bar and then it can move foward and back? Thanks, looks like a good solution.

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I would watch the U-bolts carefully. I suspect that you will tweak them up.. Otherwise it looks good.

Glenn Loud
87' Zook Spoa, 31's, 4.16 tcase, Camo,Header,2"exhuast, Cam.
Locked both ends, 8klb winch, Snorkel -Wildweasel2
NE4WI- club
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

>>Now on to home grown rear disks....

TTough has a bolt on setup that uses subaru disks w/ the ebrake on the caliper. & it also makes your rear axle a free floater using stock hubs etc.. >700 bucks though. But by the time you add in the spidertrax ebrake foo (In my opinion)to the disk conversion, TTough is comparable with free floater tAboot. of course.. I'd rather make it. But if I am going to throw 700 bucks at my rear axle- it'd be a toy or d44 & still get change back.

JC Garrett
91 Samurai JS
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:16 PM
CSR

Lookin' Good! Your traction bar and Tim's bar make mine look kinda plain.... guess I'll have to build another one![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/zuki_chris/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-334926-Feb06$01.JPG (92.4 KB, 1 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

>>really like your set up. The attatchment to the axle, is that a shackle too? >>Id like to see some more pictures of that. The shakle up front, in which >> irection is it moving? How did you mount it, just the bolts on the bracing >>bar and then it can move foward and back? Thanks, looks like a good solution.

The axle mount I made from steel plate. I wanted to keep my ground clearance. I made the two side pieces according to the height and lowest point I wanted & cut the axle curve. I then welded a cross brace. I also welded muffler clamps on the side at a slightly different angle to better fit more of the axle curve. The pipe is 1.5 inch and the bushings are ford shackle. I have a line of white paint going across my ubolts and the axle tube to monitor movement. If this works out - I'll pull the Ubolts and weld it to the axle tube. The shackle is frame mounted and the front of the Tbar is on top. It is leaning slightly rearward as too far forward & I am into the Tcase.

This is all Oilburner & CSR design- I just pulled some stuff out of the scrap pile and started grinding. The hardest part was badgering these two guys for MORE pics and to fax diagrams :>

JC Garrett
91 Samurai JS
[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm not suggesting you to spend moola for discs. You are not the "Buy it" type. That's why I suggested the home-grown version. All you need to do is scrape up an SJ410 e-brake assembly. The only costs I incurred were a few washers and bolts, and a proportioning valve.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 04:30 PM

Sorry, Tim -
JC would scrape that t-case mounted drum appendage off in about 15 seconds, the way he 'wheels [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Another buddy of ours trashed the disc e-brake thingy, too.

JC -- have you raised your l.r. tire as far as it'll go up? That body reinforcing piece looks kinda close to the top of the ladder bar in the shot where you can see the shackle good... Of course, even if it touched it, you Know which one would give [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

OILBURNER [email protected] 1988.5 Samurai, VW 1.9L Diesel,
GRS II, Toyota Axles w/ locked High-Pinion Diff's,
BFg 35's and more....

Coming SOON: 5.29 R&P's
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 04:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I run the Tim Porter's skid plate. With a lil' modification and welding it give great protection of the drum e-brake. I've slid it over quite a few rocks and so far so good.

Running the disc e-brake without rock protection is a waste of good money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode