2" exhaust vs. valves - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

2\" exhaust vs. valves

I want to put on a 2" exhaust system from the cat back and use only a glasspack as mufflerage. The cat is just a hollowed out shell now. My concern is that I might burn a valve. Are the 1.3 valves pretty tough, or do they have a pension for burning. I know this will reduce my backpressure greatly, I just worry how greatly.

FRANKENZUKI,10 foot tall and bullet proof!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 07:08 PM

Re: 2\" exhaust vs. valves

shawn, i put a hedman header with a free flow cat & dynomax turbo muffler with 2" tubing on my 88 about 3 years ago , drove it from tampa, fl to big bend national park & to tellico & blairsville several times as well as thousands of miles around florida (sold it to a friend when i decided to build a cj-7 & he drove it daily) bought it back , just put a cam in it & haven't had a minutes problem with it-i say go for it!!
cueball

cueball
88 hd-top,1.3with weber, calmini cam,headers & 2" exhaust, jacobs ignition, 3" national spua , 4.16 tc gears, 88.5 5th gear,29x10.50 swamper tsl sx's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 01:25 AM
JKing

how could you burn your valves with that setup? have not heard of such thing happening.

I've got no cat and a straight out cherry bomb muffler and no problem....???????

JKing
Suzuki Samurai (known as Jimny SJ413 in Asia)
K&N Air Filter, Shackle Lift, Larger Than Stock Tires, 1" Wheel Spacers, Driving & Spot Lamps, Tokico Shocks
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 02:35 AM

Modifying a carburated engine to "breath" better usually has the effect of leaning out the fuel mixtue which can burn a valve.
However I've never heard of Samurai's having this problem. I wonder if the ECM in conjunction with the O2 sensor compensates
for a free flowing exhaust? Anybody know,got any theories?

rollerskate
(That's what I was told my Samurai resembles)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 07:37 AM
MRLoneWolfe

Ide say that if you ran her with no exhaust that might be a problem!2"- GO FOR IT!

MRLoneWolfe AKA THROTTLE MONGER,1988Sami SPUA,5in Calmini,lockrites,TSL Thornbirds,YOR-bumpers and rockrails,Sidekick seats,z-link,YOR-pumkin protectors,1.3+.030
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 10:42 AM
JKing

agreed that modifying exhaust to larger tend to lean out the mixture but you should anyway re-tune the mixture and idle after the upgrade to larger pipes. re-calibrating the mixture should solve the problem.

JKing
Suzuki Samurai (known as Jimny SJ413 in Asia)
K&N Air Filter, Shackle Lift, Larger Than Stock Tires, 1" Wheel Spacers, Driving & Spot Lamps, Tokico Shocks
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

The GO FOR IT'S have it. I'm doin' it. I will however adjust the carb accordingly. As far as the ECM changing anything to do with the carb, it's a modified hitachi, no ECM needed and no vacumn secondaries. Thanks all for the push in the right direction!

FRANKENZUKI,10 foot tall and bullet proof!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode