snorkels (FI vs carb) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 06:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

snorkels (FI vs carb)

Just bought a 90 sammi with fuel injection, should you or can you put a snorkel system on them? I've read some of your other comments on how bad the FI is in the water and was wondering how you'd adjust the FI to a snorkel if possible!!! anyone done this yet or is it even feasible?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 09:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: snorkels (FI vs carb)

The snorkel will plumb into a fuel injected Samurai the same as a carb'd one. It plugs into the filter box, so there is no difference.

I picked up my first snorkel when I went through a deep creek and blew the engine. Since then, all my Zuks and my Jeep have snorkels. They are not cheap, but they are much cheaper than replacing and engine. The extra power and mileage it affords also helps pay off the snorkel before long.

http://www.rocky-road.com/zuksnorkel.html

http://www.rocky-road.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. any suggestions on type of snorkel or company you prefer. Which type do you have for the Sammi FI?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 11:22 AM
Old Hand

I have a question: What good is the snorkel for the carb or FI without raising the exhaust pipe to the same height as the intake for the snorkel? What if your engine burps or cuts off while the exhaust is under water. In a cut off wouldn't water possibly be injested into the engine? Or is the snorkel for looks only, not really a serious add-on without the exhaust as well protected??? Just curious????

Early 87 Zuk, Calmini headers, 2" Calmini reverse lift, Calmini 2" Exhaust system, Kayline Full Doors,Steel Horse Seats, 30x9.5 Roadmaster rubber, Doetsh shocks & stabilizer, soon a Pony & GRS-1
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 12:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you keep your eng. runnin when stuck in deep water it will b fine. i have had my exaust burble under water many many times. even stalled and shut off come to think of it. just as long as you don't get water in the carb or air intake there is no reason you should hydrolock. i have heard of the exaust sucking the water in if stalled and restarted. but its never happened to anyone i know. snorkel are not just for looks. i would definately like to know i am safe when deep water crossing.

build it, break it, then build it better.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 01:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do a search for "snorkel" in this forum and the swb jeep forum. There have been several people post do-it-yourself descriptions of how to build you own snorkel for less than $30.

84 cj7 Laredo Superior 1 piece, more to come.....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 02:16 PM

I have seen my friends do their snorkels for 11$ and they are easily as safe as any manufactured one for 350$ Its such an easy mod to do, go to home depot and spend 20$ on supplies if you want to spend big bucks. Lots of sites tell you how to do this, try using the search and youll have hours of fun, also izook has articles too. Max

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r,
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 06:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i wanna a snorkel... just dont wanna cut up my ZUk. i know it will be blocked, but just dont know [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

maybe i will find a way to make it were i dont have to cut up too much, is there a certian width it has to be? thx for any info

~Goot
http://suzukigoot.rockcrawler.com/
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 06:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ive got a 90 sami with FI. Ive had its hood under water and it never missed a lick. I got lucky tho, therefore i will have a snorkel come zukimelt.

About the exhaust, im goin to try to build an exhaust pipe that comes out at the stock position and have a hole drilled into it, Then take another pipe and have it bent to fit under the bumper, and drill a hole in the end of it also. Im thinking if i use a small clevis/hitch pin in the hole i can keep it under the bumper when driving normal, then flip it upright when wheeling. I would have to use aluminum or stainless pipe so that it wouldnt rust tho.

Does this sound like a halfway decent idea to anybody? Let me know

Will

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 07:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

aww! heck whats wrong with a small caeserean scar to get a snorkel that could save your engine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode