revolver shackles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

revolver shackles

anyone tried revolver shackles with a spua? i'm running a 3" national spring lift-would like more droop and softer ride would be nice!
cueball
88 hd-top,weber,headers & 2" exhaust, cam, 4.16 tc gears, swampers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 02:41 AM
Alfie

Re: revolver shackles

Yep, I got a pair on the front with old man emu springs (+ 2") and 2" body lift.
I run 31 x 10.5's on 8" rims. No probs. Slight rubbing on centre shackle bolt on full lock. Can't feel it, just signs of rubbing. Revolvers give an inch or two of lift and are stiff on road, no wandering like with extended shackles.
They give a lot of articulation off road.
I am going to fit a pair in back also.
Would like to see a lock out system for use when on extreme cambers, you know a strap to keep shackle from opening and allowing a concertina effect.
Otherwise fine.
alfie.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

alfie, thanks for the info! couple of questions- by concertina effect do you mean a tendency to roll from the high side is increased because of the extension? also a jeepn friend said that the softened the ride over bumps - most noticeable on highway ?
cueball

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 02:42 PM
Alfie

Yeah, I haven't noticed it as I get nervous on anything too extreme (cambers) But as you can imagine once the vehicle gets way over on a side angle, if the revolvers open up then you're a gonner. (that's with revolvers on all corners)
I only have them on the front as yet and love the way the vehicle rides on and off road. However I have aftermarket springs, with stockers you may not notice much improvement.
As I said, because the knee joint on the revolver has a teflon locator, they don't sway to each side like extended shackles.
To me, keeping overall height low is as important as having lots of articulation.
Sammies aint too wide eh?
Alfie

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

alfie, you're right about them not being to wide-but with 4" total lift and heavy swampers mine seems to do ok on off cambers-also don't want mine too tall either-here in florida some of the trails are like tunnels in the thickest woods you can imagine- a big tall truck is at a definite disadvantage!!
anyway, thanks for the input-i'll probably try the revolver or maybe some sort missing link set-up.
cueball

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 06:19 PM
pugrocker

cueball:

I am running Revolver Shackles with 3" Nationals thrown under the axles and it rides sweet on the highway and flexes really nice - a lot of droop. I would recommend some sort of steering correction (i.e. Calmini Linkage, Breeze, etc.). My steering was totally wacky until I installed crossover steering. I have 4" of lift and my zuk now rides alot better than stock (on and off road) and is stable at highway speeds.

BTW - I do not know much about the M/L setups but the thing I liked about the Revolver's was the fact that the pivoting point was under the weight of the truck - helping keep them closed on the highway. They also (unlike the M/Ls) have the ability to twist left to right - as well as open and close.

pug

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

pugrocker
sounds like you've got the same setup that i have with the 3" national springs. i've got some bumpsteer now but not too bad -wouln't mind corrective measures. what shocks are you using? did you have to install extended brake lines? where did you find the revolvers & about how much? thanks for the info!
cueball

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 12:44 AM
Alfie

Cueball, if it's any help. I fitted 2 or 3" longer brake lines. Have already fitted a Calmini drop pitman arm.
I think my truck drives sweet, but my wife won't drive it. She's had it too good with her Swift GTI. (which has an endangered motor)
I am soon going to fit revolvers in the back as well.
I think I will fit a limiting strap to the centre of the axle to relieve the stress on the drive shaft. This will still allow the axle to twist and the wheels to droop.
This is one part of my life I want lots of droop in. know what I mean?
cheers (Let us all know how you get on with yours)
Alfie.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 08:05 AM
pugrocker

cueball:

I am using D-Techs 3000 with the RRO extended shock towers front & rear. I am also using their extended rubber brake lines. I also used a 3/4" driveline spacer on the rear driveshaft so it wouldn't fall apart on droop.

You will not need a limiting strap or any other major modifications. Email Don Peters II for pricing info - because I know that they have reduced the price. He is also running the exact same set up as me (and possibly you)....His email is [email protected].

Contact me with any other questions.

pug

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 08:10 AM
pugrocker

cueball:

one other thing, if you extend (by getting the Revolvers) your shackles make sure throw some steel castor shims to the spring packs up front to help keep the steering tight........and I would still recommend some sort of steering correction...............

pug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode