Year of the Samurai - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 06:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Year of the Samurai

I am an enthusiatic newbie. I bought my Samurai sight unseen and was told it was a 1988. I am thrilled with it and did not pay much money. (no engine) Everybody seems to take great pride in stating that their Sammi is a 1988.5 so I looked on the title to see, and find it is a 1987. Did I get stuck with some kind of a dinosaur? Was there a huge change in something between a 1988 and a 1988.5? Can anyone tell me what gives?

87 Sammi SPOA 1.6 na VW diesel under construction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 06:28 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Year of the Samurai

Actually, there really was no 1988.5 Samurai... only early production 1988 and late production 1988 Samurais. The late production 1988s have been conveniently dubbed as 1988.5 to help differentiate between the two types when talking about them, but the title shows 1988 on both types. There were several cosmetic trim changes and a few minor mechanical changes mid-year, none of which made a major difference in performance. Good luck with your 1987.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 06:47 PM

Re: Year of the Samurai

Dont worry bout it, 87 samurais rock! I have an 87, and know more people with 87's than anything else. Accually i perfer the 87's over the 88's and up, because i dont care too much for the new designed dash with square vents, also that wider sway bar( not that it matters because everyone takes them out anyway:-)

Also if you get one with an electric carb theres more hassle when it comes to deep water crossings, because of the computer. I was in a little pond once, i had a 235/75 spare tyre on the tail gate and bout 1" of it was poking out of the water, and in the front the water was up to the hood, interior was flooded way up to the dash, heheh the truck kept running through the whole thing! Well it did staLL because i kept pushing it till it was hydrolocked.. ohwell.
So one way to see if your truck is an 88+, just check to see if the vents on the dash are square.
Anton

Locked and Lifted! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode