engine swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 11:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

engine swap

How hard would it be to put a buick oddfire v6 in a sidekick or sammy, if at all possible? How bout a v8 conversion?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 12:18 AM
Old Hand

Re: engine swap

I really don't know about the Buick engine but I what I do know is that dropping a Vortec 4.3 is pushing it as it is and a v8 will just kill your zook. I guess with money anything can happen. Personally (and this is coming from a man that loves power) I wouldn't recomend a v8 it's just not worth it. www.suzukiconversion.com put in covette engines in there zooks along with vortec 4.3L. but ther is a ton of mods that need to be done to do it. with a v6 you need to swap axles a drivetrain, plus with the added weight you might need a new front suspension. Just a thought.

Driving off-road needs to be done well, like throwing a fly at a rising trout in dark, calm waters. Take pride in the task, and the reward is more than the destination.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 12:53 PM

mudbug,
if you want a v-6 the man to contact is alan kempton at suzuki lightning conversions in tampa, fl (check i-zook fo contact info) he specializes in 3.8 & 4.3 gm v-6 with 200r4 auto trans conversions-i've been wheeling with him with his 4.3 monster & it is definitely not your average sami! at the time i had a 86 with a mazda 12a rotary which i preferred because it had comparable performance without the excessive (for a sami) weight- anyway, he sells the complete conversion as well as kits to do your own-good luck!
cueball
88 hd-top,1.3 with weber, header,2"exhaust, cam jacobs ign, 4.16 tc, 3' national spua, swampers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 06:45 PM
Addict

The problem with lightning performances kit, is it is to expensive, about 2500$ i believe.

1990 samurai spoa
soon to have 2.8 and c4 auto
33" thornbirds
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 07:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

You can cut a lot of the cost down just by not getting the 3 drive shafts and motor mounts. If you go and do a V6 or V8 swap, PLEASE change your axles! The stock wimpy ones will not hold that long, regardless what lightning conv. saids! You will brake something if you still have on the stock drive train! Swap in something like Toyota or Dana 44's are the most popular for that swap! Build or buy a Traction Bar for the rear axle to help with rear axle wrap! Also, the motor mounts are easy to make, that is if you have the skill/shop or friend to do this! It can be a lot of money to do the swap, but it also save ya some money! It all depends on if you can find some axles that are a good price and with the right gears in them, can fab. some of your own parts, and willing to spend lots of time on the project! The 4.3L engine in a Zuk is fun to drive! A friend of mine in Cinn. Ohio has one with 39" Boggers and is a daily driver! Good looking truck! I'll see him this summer in July, will take a few pic's and post here! Anyways, its all up to you! Later

<font color=blue>Brian</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 09:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

mudbug.i have a 4.3 in my sami and i dont recommend it.if you want that kind of power,buy a jeep and drop the sami body on it.if you do go to a v-6, go with an automatic,it is easier on the axles and other drive train parts.if you go to zookimelt this summer i will take you out with the guys who used gears to get their performance and they do better, as when they hit the gas they go ,when i hit the gas ,most likely i will break.good luck,RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode