goin Junkyard digging - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 07:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

goin Junkyard digging

gonna go junkyard digging here pretty soon. I thought i saw a Tracker in there, gonna chekc the engine hehe and seats. What else should i get? any ideas for a stock sammi? thx in advance!

~Goot
http://suzukigoot.rockcrawler.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 07:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: goin Junkyard digging

Probably wouldn't hurt to check for power steering. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 07:36 PM

Goot! check the front diff on the tracker. If it has one then take it out and get it. You only need the front one. then get another front one from another tracker and your geared down real nice!

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 12:39 AM
Old Hand

let me get this straight, so you can take 2 front diffs from what year tracker, and put them where to get better gearing. can some one that has done this start a new post. This sounds like a way cheaper way of getting lower gearing too me, does that also increase your highway gearing as well, I'm just wondering if I'd get my 5th gear back this way, since I put on the 33's I don't have 5th.

Driving off-road needs to be done well, like throwing a fly at a rising trout in dark, calm waters. Take pride in the task, and the reward is more than the destination.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 01:04 AM

Now i dont think it matters what years, what does matter is that they are both auto or standard. Someone jump in if im off base here. All you have to do is get two FRONT diffs out and they go in both the rear and front of the sammi. I dont know which is the 5.13 gears and which is the 4.56 gears. When you get both, come back to the board and we'll tell you how to install them easily. Its cheap is you can get a good price on the diffs. As long as the tracker and side kicks are both automatics or standards then you have a matching set i believe, but im not a 100%sure.

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r,
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 04:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

4.62=auto
5.125=manual
I think all years are the same, I got my front set for $50 and wildweasel got his front set and a complete rear axle for $100

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 07:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Under the hood, passenger's side, wheel well. There are two short brake hoses with banjo fittings on one end. Take both, as they are good for the home-grown rear disc conversion. Stock Sammy front lines are two long for that application.

Also, take the front diff and the rear axle complete for possible upgrades later.

Don't forget the P/S set-up and the A/C pump and bracket. Fi you find a GV, grab the 80A alternator.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 08:20 AM

One other thing to note: The Trackick front chunk will bolt into a front Samurai housing & work fine - BUT, it will have the 88.5-&-newer driveshaft flange pattern. This can be easily remedied with 4 new holes [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

<font color=red>BUT FOR THE SAMURAI REAR:</font color=red>
You Must install the side gears from the Samurai Rear chunk into the Sidekick unit so the axles will fit. (Samurai front axle diameter is smaller than the rear) Several companies address this swap & have small parts to make it easier.

If you do both front & rear chunks w/ Sidekick carrier housings, you will have aluminum instead of cast iron - this may or may not bother you.

HTH,

OILBURNER [email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 08:55 AM
mike shannon

i ran a stock tracker front third member in mine for about 8 months, till i blew it to crap. take my word on it just take the gears out and put them in your third members. the tracker front is a weaker set up and my housing spread and then i blew the carrier apart. got lucky and reused the gears and put them in a samurai third. i am running a full size tracker rear with a toy drive shaft. so i got 5.12s for 150 bucks. and it works great with 33s later mike

88.5ht,two87s,88.5 spoa,33X12.50,5.12 f&r,rock cage,4.16 T case
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 12:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I was recommending taking the whole rear axle incase he wants to build a hybrid himself, or use them as cores to keep his cost down.

If your driveshafts are the small pattern, swap the pinion flanges. Easier (and more precise) than re-drilling.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode