sidekick tow vehicle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

sidekick tow vehicle

is it safe to flat tow a samurai w/SPOA and 33" BFG's with a stock 4 door Sidekick JLX ?? thought i'd ask the experts before i try it!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 01:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: sidekick tow vehicle

i would definately think its safe. someone on here tows thiers with a sidekick. im sure it has the power just make sure the brakes are up to the task.

build it, break it, then build it better.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

doesn't anyone use a 4 door sidekick to tow with?? or since i don't know anyone on this post i can only get one kind person to respond?!?!? Thanks again Gotzook.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 12:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I've asked and seen the tow question asked a few time on this and other list and it seems the answer usually involves being able to stop not tow the load. I have a '97 Taurus and was advised not to tow with it because of stopping. I was also told the Ford tranny would never hold up to towing. Don't know about the Sidekick's Trans. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2001, 09:44 PM

Just for your info, I was once towing a lifted Sami with 33's using my 86.5 Nissan Hardbody with 34's. We were comming out of the forest going down hill when the Sami decided it wanted to pass me. It spun the truck and we were jack knifed in a ditch. Luckily we were able to unhook the 2 and get out of the ditch. We were very fortunate that the bodies never contacted or that we did not roll. I then looke into safe ways to flat tow. What I learned was that it is bad when the vehicle being towed is the same weight or heavier than the tow vehicle. I also learned that you want the tow bar to be level from towee to tow'er. I am not saying that the Sidekick can not do it, I am just saying that when control is needed have the set up done correctly. I think that my bed being empty along with wet roads contributed to the near disaster. I don't want to read about someone else being not so lucky.
Lator....

The Uglier The Tire, The Better The Truck Looks!!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 01:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

tatzook, try to usae the search feature. it was about a month or so ago. i seen a large thread on what everyone uses as atow vehicle. some good info there,.

build it, break it, then build it better.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 06:53 AM
Loweguy

My opinion-don't even try. The Sidekick is a great vehicle, but it's not designed to pull that much weight. I think that Suzuki rated it for 1000 lbs tow...possibly 2000lbs. The problem is that for safety's sake you always want some margin UNDER what the manufacturer tells you.

It MIGHT do it...but it's very risky. In addition to the concerns mentioned above about stopping, not many vehicles can safely and comfortably tow much weight when motivated by a 4-cylinder themselves. My opinion is that in fact it MIGHT be able to get up to speed, but it would be so hard ont the engine and transmission that there would be great opportunity for troubles. Keep in mind, too, that the world isn't flat. If you can get the Sami down your block, it still doesn't represent being able to go up a 5 or 6% grade you may encounter on the highway.

Good luck.

Michael O

-01 Nissan Frontier XE King Cab
-00 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
-88 Samurai, 2" Sky Manufacturing body lift, 1" Desert Steel lift shackles, 31" Mud Kings on Summit chrome spokes
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 09:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i use a 1996 s-10 4x4 to tow my sami.the sami has 9" of lift,14x33 boggers, and weights about 2500#s.i can pull the sami if i keep the transmission out of overdrive,but i too have been jackknifed by my sami.the only thing that saved me was push button 4x4 ,and that ALLOWED me to drive out of my problem.if you are going to pull it, i would go no smaller than a 1/2 ton truck with a factory towing package.RR

THANK GOD FOR VETERANS AND SUZUKIS-BOTH KEEP YOU FREE. FOUNDER;INDIANA SUZUKI EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 09:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i used to use a 76 suburban, with a tandem 16 foot trailer. mine stands about 6 ft though. you might be cheaper to go buy a beater half ton for a few hundered n use it than chance a tracker. not sayin it cant be done, because i hauled a pontiac fiero on a 10 ft trailer with my zuk. 65 miles home, nose forward on the trailer, meaning the motor in the fiero was on the back of the trailer. car was wrecked, didnt have a choice. used 4wd all the way home, never passed 40 mph either. averaged 10mph up the mountains and about 5 mph down them. really bad when jb hunt passes me. has several that do it that day. the vehicle will tow it, but i believe it is safer to get a larger vehicle for it.
just my opinion
BiLLy bOb

Do unto others as you want done to you!
If you pack it in, pack it out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode