Anti-Theft Measures - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 01:10 PM
ronin

Anti-Theft Measures

While I was working on making my doors removable, I started thinking about how to protect from theft. My neighbor recently had his chevy fullsize swiped while he was out boating one day and it has kinda bothered me ever since. Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do to keep your rigs safe and in the same parking spot you left it in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 01:16 PM
Old Hand

Re: Anti-Theft Measures

I am planning on puting in a hidden engine kill switch somewhere under my dashboard, as soon as the weather gets a little warmer. The more mods I do to my Zuk the more paranoid I get about someone stealing it while i'm at work.

-Ryan Primel
'88 zuk, 1.6L, spoa, drop-links, grs1, 32's, Locked & Warned
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I lived in S. Africa they had a huge problem with auto theft...one of the most common anti-theft devices whas a gear lock....this locked the shifter into one position...usualy revese. I'll bet you could make one out of the right materials and a long necked lock commonly found at walmart etc...

That is what I'll be putting on my zook when I have to start worring about it walking off on me.

Reuben

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 02:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I knew a guy that used one of those long u-shaped bike locks and locked the clutch and brake pedals together. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 02:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Another option is to remove a wheel & tire and take it with you.

LOL

DannyL
Pony Express
Updated site 17 Jan 2001
http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 02:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The Anti-Theft thing I do when my doors are off is to put the t-case in neutral position, most people that try to steel a car/truck try to get away fast, well this will stump them and buy ya a few extra mins. I know it works, one day I did that and put it in 1st gear and I couldn't go anywhere! I forgot that the t-case was moved to the "N" spot and felt stupid! It took me a few mins to figure out what was holding me from moving! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I even let my friend use my Zuk to get some food for a party we had, and he came in the house about 5min later and said that he broke my Zuk, I forgot to tell him to put the t-case back in the 2wd spot! Works for me!

<font color=blue>Brian</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 03:27 PM
Can't Get Enough

That's a pretty good deterrent, Brian. A lot of thugs ain't rocket scientists anyway. That AND an underdash kill switch combined could probably keep me from stealing it long enough to round up a posse.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I use a piece of steel cable that is coated with plastic and has loop s on the ends i loop one end around my brake and clutch together and the other end around one of my steering wheel spokes and lock the end at the steering wheel with a Master Lock this is not fool proof but the last thing a thief wants is to have to spend time.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 03:59 PM
zukiman

You can kill two birds with one stone when making a clutch pedal over-ride plug. As you know, when you try to start the engine without the clutch pedal depressed, nothing happens; the clutch has to be in. Off-road it's often nice to be able to crawl on the starter motor for a couple seconds, so an over-ride switch is nice.

In the wiring up by the pedals, you'll find one coming from the clutch to the ignition, with a plug in the middle. All you have to do is take the plug out and solder the two wires together on the pedal side. This gives you the clutch over-ride so you can crawl with the starter motor, and it also gives you an ignition kill plug. When you park, just remember to take the plug with you and you have one more deterrant to theft.

Combine that with putting the t-case in neutral, and it'd take a while to figure out how to get the truck to move. Additionally, if you have the Spidertrax Full-Floater rear axle you can unlock the rear hubs and the thief would probably never figure it out.

--Geoff Beasley

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 04:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Tie in an on/off switch in the clutch circuit and do the same for the ignition. You can elliminate the fuseable link and replace with an inline fuse that can be removed. I doubt a thief would find this when used with the other measures. You've probably have seen those infomercials on that "club" type of lock for the brake pedal. Looks to be pretty good and better than the "Club".
Welding tabs for a lock on the shifter and the t-case shifter while in the reverse/neutral or low range position.
I've also heard of using some creative wiring to use a coil to zap a would be thief if it wasn't disarmed.
Then there is the shotgun shell under the seat trick, but I won't go there........

Only kidding.......

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode