Driving tips & techniques... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Driving tips & techniques...

<font color=blue>twister</font color=blue> asked about driving tips & techniques on another page, and I wanted to start another thread so as to keep them separate.

<font color=blue>ScottCJ8</font color=blue> added this on the other page:

<font color=blue>1. Keep the engine runnin'
2. Greasy side down
3. Keep air in the tires (Doesn't apply to Zukes)
4. Never crest a blind hill going over 25 mph
5. Tread lightly and carry a big highlift jack
6. Don't razz the guy you pass on the trail, you may need him to pull you out later
all in fun

Scott Trester
1988.5 Suzuki Samurai</font color=blue>
http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/Scott.html

I have a few of my own, maybe a little more serious though.

1) Go into an unknown obstacle easy, under minimal power, like idling. It's always good to "test the waters" first, and you can usually back out when going slow. I have seen so many "Throttle Jockeys" just hammer it and hope thye make it through. If the first try reveals no results, give it another go, only a little faster and test the results. If it felt good that time, <font color=red>Drive it like you stole it</font color=red>!

2) Keep the person behind you in sight at all times. If you continue on, they may be stuck and then you have to back up or turn around and go get them.

3) One person at a time guiding on an obstacle. I have seen this so many times it's not funny, one guy saying to go one way, and another saying the opposite. Only listen to one, and the driver should pick who to listen to, the others should back up and give them room.

4) Look 2 dimensionally. Look at the road (or path) in front of you for 2 tracks, which is where your tires will go. It's fine to look where other's have gone, but keep your mind open to other avenues, often times you can get by the obstacle easier by taking another path.

5) Be prepared. Take spares with you (fluids, shafts, oil filters, etc), and offer them if they are needed. A good group will do this anyway, Zookin' 2K was the perfect example. Also bring food and water with you, don't leech off others, no one likes it.

6) Have fun. Doesn't seem like this should be one, but believe it or not, I have actually seen fights on the trail due to some people's competitiveness. It's FUN, not a competition. I still refuse to go out with people, because they don't have fun and try to make everything into a competition.

7) Don't be afraid to take the strap to get over an obstacle. There is no sense beating you or your rig to death to get over an obstacle. I'll try just about anything once, I know my limitations, and when to just take the strap. I have seen people try 30 times to get over an obstacle, with the same results. Do you know what the definition of Insanity is? It's performing the same task time after time and expecting a different result. Try the obstacle from a different angle or at a different speed.

8) Safety first. Don't allow people near the winch cable or the strap when people are being extracted. NO hanging off vehicles when they're moving or off camber. No getting in the way when they're attacking an obstacle. Everyone should be wearing a seat belt. No loose heavy items in the cab, one rollover or jolt and someone could be seriously hurt from it flying around.

9) Tread lightly. Ok, I know this is a little hard at times. What I'm referring to is staying on the trail, not straying just because you see an obstacle or mud pit. Also, tree straps only on the trees, no hooking the cable directly to the tree, it kills them. No garbage left behind, you packed it in, pack it out with you.

10) Stagger the rigs on a trail. In other owrds, have one built rig, one not-so-built-rig. This way there is less likelyhood of 2 people getting stuck at the same time.

11) Prepare once you hit the trail. This includes airing down, everyone should be airing down, wheeling is so much easier. Get straps ready, have them accessible and at the ready.

That's about it, I know I've forgotten a few things, what else do people have?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 05:37 PM

Re: Driving tips & techniques...

Have a fire extinguisher, and lots of water. Drinking water. Also get a second line just for the internet so when your friends try to call you (JEEPN< GLENN$#@%&*!!!!) they can reach you with ease. Also carry a camera and USE IT unlike so many i know who carry a camera just for emergencys.

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r,
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 07:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Good list Marc!!!

And Max the Camera thing is so true.

I'm going to bring my Bro from now on. He takes great pictures with my digi!

I really like to have pictures to show , but I'd really like to have some of my rig doing cool stuff too!!!

DannyL
Pony Express
Updated site 17 Jan 2001
http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

this might sound strange...but make sure someone has a cell phone...and don't buy those fiberglass racing bucket seats...A friend of mine didn't make it up a hill climb...he hit his brakes and didn't have any.....you get the picture...well sometime in all the rolls and endos both front seats blew apart...his dad was killed before it stopped rolling ...someone had a phone and the life flight chopper landed at the base of the hill....and after about 6 months in the hospital he was ok.....so when your five miles from any road every minute counts.....just a thought...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 09:18 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Some rules that my dad taught me and ive tried to perfect.

1)No matter what trail, what muddrag, what mudhole or who im with i ALWAYS pray before i run.
2)To me passengers are a no no. I flipped my sami with 2 buddies in it and nobody had a seatbelt on. We all survived but thats cuz GOD wanted us too.
3)Know your vehicle. You should know everything about it. Where every low hanging obect (ie, muffler) is. Know what part is closest to the ground and how close to the ground it its.
4)Use your head. Follow the line thats right for your vehicle.
5)Dont get in over your head. Altho i do that all the time
6)Dad hates when i wheel at nite. I think its more fun, but i admit its more dangerous. Thus the fun factor.
7)TREAD LIGHTLY.
8)When in doubt, gas it.
9)Never shut the motor off, it might not start back up
10)Use common sense

I have 2 boxes that i take wheelin. One has all the tools, ropes, air compressor, etc. The other is a first aid kit. Its complete with a 6 pack of water, PB crackers, a couple of candy bars and a complete first aid kit. The first aid kit is never opened unless needed. That way i know it is ready to go.Im also thinkin of reactivating my Bag Cell phone. Its a 3 watt and it will pick up pretty much anywhere.

But the main rule is to jus Have Fun

Jus my .02 worth
Will

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 09:36 PM

One more thing to add to the list that is very very very important.........toilet paper

Just one more of the elite Samurai![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] External cage on a hardtop, x8ki wrn winch, M/L's,pny crb,98amp alt,32's, lckd f/r,
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 09:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

T-p is a waste of money & it takes up a lot of space in a Zuk !
Here's a trick an "old timer" taught me :
I usually just go ahead & sh!t my britches - let it dry - then scrape it off later . Simple & elegant .
Hey who's gonna let me ride shotgun at zukifari ?
YT you're going right ?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 10:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I like them all! Good job guys!

<font color=blue>Brian</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=blue>THE ULTIMATE ZUK</font color=blue>
http://www.geocities.com/brianconrad1/
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Great reply Twister, quite funny. Max is right though, you never know when mother nature is gonna call.

'85 LWB Samurai, SPOA, 1.6L EFI, GRS1, 5.12 gears, lockers front & rear, power steering, 33" tires, fold-down windshield.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 10:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Twister

I almost pissed myself on that one!!!!

Do any of the Eastern boys want to take a Canadian to Zukifari?

Will bring Canadian BEER!!!!!

DannyL
Pony Express
Updated site 17 Jan 2001
http://www.partszuki.homestead.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode