Battery terminal corrosion ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Battery terminal corrosion ??

What exactly causes this? My 91 has a Die Hard and has never had any corrosion on the terminals, while my 87 with a Douglas battery has corrosion which needs to be cleaned periodically.
Maybe I answered my own question ????

All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 08:38 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Battery terminal corrosion ??

The problem is one of the batteries has coated terminals and the other doesn't.

Part of the buildup is due to electrolysis on the battery terminals, you're in effect electroplating airborne minerals onto the battery terminals. By coating them, they're not prone to this as they have no direct contact with air. This is why coating them eliminates the problem, it puts a barrier between the terminal and the air. Grease, special lubes, and even soap will work.

The rest of the problem is corrosion of the terminals themselves. Coating them, like painting metal so it won't rust, just stops the process by eliminating the air constituent, which the process needs.

If you have copper leads and lead terminals together, now you have dissimilar metals, so you'll get degradation there as well.

The Die Hard probably just has a thin coating of something on the terminals, whereas the other battery was cleaned of this coating.

Same thing with a can of soda. Believe it or not, it's a small battery there. The only thing that prevents the acidic soda (or pop, or tonic, or whatever) from eating through the aluminum can is the thin layer of plastic on the inside of the can. Soda usually has a pH of around 3 by the way, VERY acidic (7 is neutral).

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 09:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Funny thing, strong black coffee as a pH of ~2. A liquid with a pH of 2 or less is considered a "Hazardous Waste" as defined by EPA's RCRA.

Hazardous food for thought.

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 09:59 AM
I Do This For The Glory

So does tea (tannic acid) and orange juice (citric acid), I only mentioned soda because it's sold in aluminum cans.

So we as humans are just basically walking hazardous waste reclaimation plants? Cool, I wonder if I can get some federal funding!? Might have worked with Komrade Klinton, but not the new guy methinks.

You'd be surprised at what the human boady has to endure on a daily basis, the levels of Mercury, Copper, Ethylmethyl badstuff, and liquid death are amazing, it's a wonder we aren't all dead. Not to mention the airborne stuff it has to filter.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 12:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

What about those felt like pads that some of the batteries have? How do those stop the corrosion. Jim

http://sites.netscape.net/riodiusa
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well CrowHorse i know one way to stop it its messy if you change them alot but i put some wheel bearing grease on them and it helps keep them dry from water and helps from the damp air thats my opion

WildZuki

Flaming Zuki
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 02:27 PM
Loweguy

Just as I'm one who likes to tie all the posts together...if you weren't aware COKE (or another soda, or probably tea) works wonderfully to get the corrosion off of the terminals. The reason I like using it is that it will obviously run down into all the cracks and crevices...and will eat every bit of corrosion in it's way. After I pour a LITTLE on the terminal, I let it work for a second and then pour water on to get rid of the COKE (and resultant residue).

I have another opinion about your corrosion issue, too. I think that if you have a grounding problem it is possible to accelerate the growth of corrosion on your terminal. My case in point was my Cherokee I used to have. Once I installed a sizable sound system in it (with some grounding problems, had a hard time getting rid of noise), I immediately started seeing a TON of corrosion at the battery that I didn't have before.

I would therefore assume that the corrosion was relative to either a bad ground somewhere, or the high draw of those components (or a combination of both).

Just a thought.

Michael O

-01 Nissan Frontier XE King Cab
-00 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
-88 Samurai, 2" Sky Manufacturing body lift, 1" Desert Steel lift shackles, 31" Mud Kings on Summit chrome spokes
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 03:03 PM

Jeepn, You are just a plethora of information. It's no wonder you have carpal tunnel!!!

"Ahhhh.... He wants to go off-road!!!!" -Ace Ventura
http://suzukisteve.rockcrawler.com
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 04:35 PM
pugrocker

strong black coffee as a pH of ~2. A liquid with a pH of 2 or less is considered a "Hazardous Waste"

Oh sh*t - I drink 3-4 cups of black coffee each day......

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 06:25 PM

just 3 or 4 cups i drink a pot [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Trail Walking on Tenn Walkers , the first 4X4[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode