34 PICT carb - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

34 PICT carb

Has anyone used the single barrel 34 PICT volkswagon carb? It was made for a 1500 or 1600cc engine. I'm thinking of trying this carb. I have a FI intake, and with a little modification, I think it would fit.

FRANKENZUKI,10 foot tall and bullet proof!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 09:08 PM

Re: 34 PICT carb

are you talking about the weber after market carb the make for vw i thought about it but it is to big you would have to make a adpter plate if your talking about the factory carb it only has to bolt holes how are you going to bolt it up . if you get it on there let me know how it works out i went with a pony

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

I'm talking about the factory carb. The weber for it is a progressive carb. As far as the mounting, the FI intake manifold has a single opening approx. 36mm. I'll just pull the for studs, redrill the stud holes and install new studs. My main concern is that it will bog itself down. 34 might be too big, and I think 30 would be too small, so maybe I will go with a 32. I seem to remember one zukster on this board who has a 300hp drag VW. You know who you are. could you give me some info about this matter?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 03:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I remember that see a thread called Forced Induction Alternatives i think that person is zoomy4??
The volks thing sounds cool, nice BIG air flow into the manifold, that sounds sweet. I have also heard the throttle body mount is quite adaptable, a carb place told me that they were a good starting point to modify for bigger carb installs, LOL
Dave

88 Vitara JLX, Koni's, King Coils 2.5" over, MT's, JayCar ign boost, Motivator Header, 2" sys, Mikuni 28/30.

Money = Power = Fun & angry spousal unit
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 11:54 AM
Can't Get Enough

The 34PICT carburetors are very nice, easy to rebuild, rebuild kits are only about $15, and a piece of cake to tune. I have not messed with one for awhile since I sold my '66 daily driver. Finding a good used one that does not have vacuum leaks from the main shafts can be a problem. I had a milk crate full of them and only two were rebuildable.

I do not have a VW engine under 2165cc and use either dual Weber 48-52mm IDA's or singe 40-50mm DCOE sidedraft carburetors on turbos. I do have a 100cfm, and 200cfm Bugspray (Holley) carburetors that I have been thinking of trying. Been saving them just in case I ever decide to build a nostalgia VW engine. I would try the PICT 34 but I do not know how it would handle on inclines. If you think the Pony carburetor is easy to work on, wait until you work on a VW carburetor. Here is the tuning instructions for the PICT 34:

SETTING THE 34PICT/3 CARBURETTOR
1. Engine warmed up, but switched off. Unscrew the Fast Idle Adjuster (sits on the stepped cam), until it is clear of the stepped cam. Now screw it in until it JUST touches the bottom step of the cam. Now screw it in another 1/4 turn - no more. This sets the throttle butterfly open the required .004 inch. Now leave this screw alone!

2. Turn the Volume Control Screw (smaller screw in the side of the carb) in until it bottoms. GENTLY PLEASE - you do not want to open up the hole. Now unscrew it 2.5 turns. This is the starting setting.

3. Start the engine and use the Bypass Screw (larger screw in the side of the carb) to set the idle at 850rpm (fast idle if you do not have a tach).

4. Go back to the Volume Screw and adjust it slowly for the fastest idle. It should not be much outside the range of 2-3 turns (˝ turn in/out from the 2.5 basic setting). Then turn it very slowly IN until the revs drop by about 30rpm. If you do not have a tach, listen until you can just hear the revs start to drop, maybe as little as 1/8th turn.

5. Now use the Bypass screw again to reset the idle speed to 850 rpm.
That's it - you are done.

Pretty simple huh? You should now have an engine which purrs like a kitten.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 2" longer shackles, Modified CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31x10.5-15's, Hi-lift jack, and a crapped out 1.3L engine.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 28-318854-34PICT-3,4.gif (10.9 KB, 20 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Zoomy4!!! I believe it will handle great on inclines because I have had a few buddies with baja bugs and they have stood them on end! I am still wondering if the 34 will be to much carb or not. The 34 was on the 1600 wasn't it? Then the 32 on the 1500 and the 30 on the 1300? I'm unsure of this. I would like the biggest one I could use for the 1298 engine currently in the zuk. My worries are that the 34 will allow too much air fuel and the disty won't allow enough advance to keep up. If I go too large(34) then maybe my lowend will suffer. If I go too small(30) then top end would suffer. Does the VW eng work well with the carb throughout the RPM ranges, or does it lack in different areas? I am gonna do this swap, and the info you provided was more than I'd hoped for, but having never driven a bug, I don't know how this carb performs.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 03:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I bet you could go with the 34, as VW were notoriously under-aspirated (undercarbed).

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 04:58 PM
Can't Get Enough

I will find out how much CFM the PICT34 was. I did some calculations one day and figured out what a 1.3L engine needs as far as carburation. I might have to dig around and find my carb notes and figue it out again. I asked on the BBS if anyone knew what the stock Samurai carb was rated at and I don't think anyone replied back.

Tim Martin
87' Samurai, 5.5" SPOA, 2" longer shackles, Modified CJ-5/Samurai springs, 31x10.5-15's, Hi-lift jack, and a crapped out 1.3L engine.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Is the 34 the throat size(34mm)? I know if you combine the stock sami carb openings you wind up with 56mm. With the 34PICT I know I would probably get good low and mid power, but I'm thinking it would peter out at higher RPMs. I usually don't go about 500 RPM anyway, so I don't see this being a problem. I would be curious on the CFM factor. I don't have the formula laying around for that one. If you do find your formula, I'd really like to get that from you also.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 08:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SOLEX!! I have a friend in Memphis who has fabbed up a plate adapter to put a solex pict on his zuk. He hated his weber & went with the solex. I didn't see it- but I am being told over and over about it running upside down. He lays it over pretty regular, btw... I saw him lay it over a couple of weeks ago and it quit pretty quick. from what he tells me the install was a piece of cake & he loves it so much better than the weber.

JC Garrett
91 Samurai JS
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode