power steering leak - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 02:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

power steering leak

anyone know how to fix a leaky power steering box on an 89 kick? seems to be leaking out somewhere around the shaft to the steering wheel. the lower half is really wet. checked at the local parts store and they want around 700 cdn for a rebuilt one and they don't show any seals or kits for a rebuild. if a seal is available, is the job easy enough to do without special tools? thanks mates!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 07:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: power steering leak

Check the fittings on the top of the box very closely, these are areas prone to leakage.

I would assume that there is a seal around the shaft, but you'd need to check the dealer and see if the part is available. Vantage Suzuki close to you?

Otherwise, I'd check the yards for a used one. There's one down my way from a '98 kick for $125 (box) and $75 (pump).

<font color=blue>Yankee Tim</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 12:07 PM
Can't Get Enough

Hey Paul, since I only have Samurais I can't even spell power steering, but thought I'd post just to ask WHERE YOU BEEN for the last 6 or 8 months? I thought you must have finally bought a KIA and quit hanging around with Zuk trash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info yankee tim. the fittings are tight and dry. seems to be leaking just below the fitting for the input shaft from the steering wheel. maybe the gasket between that and the main body of the box. i put in some leak stop stuff and the level has not dropped in 1000km yet. i guess it's ok for now. vantage suzuki was walking distance from me before i moved. if i find that it starts leaking again i look into used i guess. thanks for the prices too. you may have just saved me hundreds! that's what this boards' for.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey brown29! i've been busy moving for the last several months. i'm an hour north of toronto now, just south of the city of barrie. i finally have a house, and a garage again. divorce, yada yada. haven't really had time to check in for awhile, but now i'm getting somewhat settled again. my baby is getting tired now and i just may have to say goodbye soon. i really don't want to though. drove to ottawa for work last week, about 1600km round trip. tuned it up before i left. i got 28 miles per imperial gallon. i should have gone over 35. it's running a bit rough all the time now and i really haven't had the time to look into it yet. just had another clutch installed. ouch. that's two in two years. it broke just as i pulled onto my street. couldn't pull it out of first gear. they said my pilot bearing seized and did some damage to my input shaft, but that i would likely be alright for a few years. this is at the dealer in barrie. well, now that it's been in there for a few weeks the release bearing is really noisy. and yes it was replaced. must have been defective. ouch. that'll cost them a lot to replace, but they wont give me a hard time. good folks at g d coates suzuki. i had a rented '01 swift auto while my kick was in for repair. wow! now that it's up to 79hp and 16 valves it really flies. even on the highway, you floor it and it goes right now. imagine with a stick. they are rated at 58 mpg imperial up here. i just might go for one of them if my kick needs really expensive work. now it needs exhaust, valve job, tires soon, and engine control problems fixed. and when i closed the door the other day, i noticed the bottom of the door flapping. so, it's no longer connected to the rest of the door. damn. you know i really wish that geo had kept the 4 door metro, or that suzuki had picked up the body style when geo dropped it. if you need to have a really small car, you might as well have a large really small car. the swift is so small, and just barely fits 6' 1" me. but at 50,000km a year, and 58 mpg, it's the way to go. i'm really hooked on suzuki's. good to hear from you b29.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 10:57 AM
Can't Get Enough

Paul, Sorry to hear about your recent traumatic experience, but glad to hear it was only Sidekick and marital problems instead of you buying a KIA. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Hang in there, buddy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode