Fan Clutch Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2001, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fan Clutch Question

While I was down there in Mexico some fellow off-roaders took me to task for having a bad fan clutch. So I've been shopping around Phoenix and only Pep Boys has a fan clutch and they want $138 for it. The same part # is on carparts.com for $78. What are my alternatives in this situation and am I facing possible imminent disaster by tweaking off the fan and ruining the rad? (Ignorance has been bliss!)

By the way, here's a totally unrelated Zuki Note: The Rocky Point Mexican cops PREFER '87-'88 Zukis for their beach patrols. They recently got a chance to "upgrade" when the new mayor was elected but chose to remain with their old Zukis. Cool!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2001, 09:59 PM
zukiman

Re: Fan Clutch Question

For about two years after I bought my Samurai I had nothing but troubles from numerous different new and used fan clutches. I threw those pieces of junk out and got an electric fan. At first I had an electronic thermostat, but it didn't hold up to the first water crossing. I replaced it with a mechanical adjustable thermostat, and I haven't had a bit of problems in the last 5 years. The 12-inch fan pulls much more air than the stock fan clutch could, and best of all, it does it reliably.

--Geoff Beasley
Suzuki Tech Editor: http://www.Off-Road.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2001, 10:02 PM

do you happen to know the part # you used or what you got them off of thnx

Trail Walking on Tenn Walkers , the first 4X4[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2001, 10:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Fan Clutch Question/part#

Thanks for your reply and yes, here is the part #. It's a Beck Arnley # 130-0138. Pepe Boys uses teh same brand and part number as carparts.com with "only" a $60 price diff.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 12:17 AM

i did the same thing i put the electric fan right in the shroud where the old fan would have been sticking through fit like a glove with a little bit of pop rivets

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 12:19 AM

i guess i asked wroung i was looking for the electric fan part # and were to get it. sorry

Trail Walking on Tenn Walkers , the first 4X4[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 01:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went with the 12" elec fan with a manual switch to shut it off when the water is over 4'.I've busted several stock fans in the water.No problems since.If I remember right the elec fan cost about 55.00 and it came with all the wire to connect it.Some advertise that your hp will improve.

Drive it like you stole it!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 07:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Fan Clutch Question/note to Geoff Beasley

Geoff, Thanks for that note earlier in this thread. Would you mind recommending a specific part # for that 12 inch fan and the mechanical thermostat? Myself and at least one other poster sure would appreciate it! THANKS for your consistent help and wise insights. John P. in Rimrock, Arizona.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 10:07 AM
zukiman

Sorry bud, I can't give you a specific part number, or even a brand name. It was 5 years ago that installed that fan!

I'll tell you what though, all I did was go to my local auto parts store and picked up both the fan and the thermostat. As I said, don't bother wasting any money on an electronic thermostat. A mechanical one is much more reliable. You can also wire it with a 3-way switch to manually override the automatic operation of the thermostat, either on or off.

If you can't find a fan or thermostat at a reasonable price locally, you can order them from J.C. Whitney. A 14-inch fan fits, but a 12-inch gives better clearance at the water pump pulley. Make sure you mount the fan very securely to the radiator, but don't damage the radiator fins. My fan has 4 mounting holes in the shroud, so two of them I bolted through holes that I drilled in the flat metal at the side of the radiator, and the other two I mounted with the supplied hardware that pushes through the radiator fins. If you don't mount the fan securely, it'll blow in the wind and chew up the radiator fins.

After removing the stock fan clutch, you can "double-nut" the four water pump studs to remove them and replace them with some regular bolts. This will give you another 1/2-inch of clearance. Also, remember to remove the stock fan shroud. You won't need it with an electric fan because it should have its own shroud. It really frees up a lot more room to work on the front of your engine!

--Geoff Beasley
Suzuki Tech Editor: http://www.Off-Road.com

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 09:27 PM

Is there a "junkyard equivilent for this fan? Does a sidekick or tracker have one that will pretty much bolt in? I really want an electric fan, but here in backwardville, the autoparts stores don't know much or carry much for them "foriegn jobbies"(spits out some terbacca juice after saying this).

FRANKENZUKI,10 foot tall and bullet proof!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode