Off Roading Forums banner

steering after mild lift

360 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Farther 
#1 ·
After installing OME springs and 3/8 lift Trail Tough Bone Shackles, bumpsteer has not increased but, my steering has lightened up a little (not a bad thing)and some mild wander at highway speeds is occuring. Would a front end alignment correct this? The steering box is pretty tight but there maybe some slack in it. Anybody have some words of wisdom to address this or will the steering adjustment take care of it. Thanks,

-Farther

#2 ·
Don't have and answer for you, haven't been there yet. I'm getting ready to do a mild SPOA and I've read a lot about people having steering problems after messing with the front end. I was a front end mechanic for a few years and I have some basic thoughts.

Yes, check and adjust out as much slop as you can in the gear box.
Check the tie rod ends, ball joints, for looseness. You can do this with a LARGE pair of slip lock pliers and try to compress the ball joints. If they move more then and 1/8 inch or so, replace them.
Also, check the spring and shackle bushings, Wheel bearings, and King pin bearings for slop.
And of course, there is always the knuckle seals and felt pads.

Hope this helps. Bobcat.

Beat It To Fit . . . . Paint It To Match /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

#3 ·
Hey Bobcat: Thanks for the reply! I will check the ball joints and tie rod. Maybe a 1/4-1/2 turn on the shackle bolts might help too. I have got all new greasable bolts and poly bushings on the springs with DT shocks and new felts and seals on the knuckles. Most everything has been replace within the last 500 miles. Thanks,

-Farther

#5 ·
Overal I like the OMEs. The ride has softened. Not as much as some(one?) venders would have you believe however. After all it still has live axles and short wheelbase. The "shock" or "jar" of bumps is greatly reduced on road and off road it is alot smoother. I would imagine the Con-Ferr greasable bolt/bushings and DT shocks helped a little bit too. The lift is very mild, probably 2.5"-3" with the Bone shackles. I would do it again.

-Farther

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.