steering after mild lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2001, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

steering after mild lift

After installing OME springs and 3/8 lift Trail Tough Bone Shackles, bumpsteer has not increased but, my steering has lightened up a little (not a bad thing)and some mild wander at highway speeds is occuring. Would a front end alignment correct this? The steering box is pretty tight but there maybe some slack in it. Anybody have some words of wisdom to address this or will the steering adjustment take care of it. Thanks,

-Farther
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 08:35 AM

Re: steering after mild lift

Donít have and answer for you, havenít been there yet. Iím getting ready to do a mild SPOA and Iíve read a lot about people having steering problems after messing with the front end. I was a front end mechanic for a few years and I have some basic thoughts.

Yes, check and adjust out as much slop as you can in the gear box.
Check the tie rod ends, ball joints, for looseness. You can do this with a LARGE pair of slip lock pliers and try to compress the ball joints. If they move more then and 1/8 inch or so, replace them.
Also, check the spring and shackle bushings, Wheel bearings, and King pin bearings for slop.
And of course, there is always the knuckle seals and felt pads.

Hope this helps. Bobcat.

<font color=red>Beat It To Fit . . </font color=red><font color=green>. . Paint It To Match</font color=green> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Hey Bobcat: Thanks for the reply! I will check the ball joints and tie rod. Maybe a 1/4-1/2 turn on the shackle bolts might help too. I have got all new greasable bolts and poly bushings on the springs with DT shocks and new felts and seals on the knuckles. Most everything has been replace within the last 500 miles. Thanks,

-Farther
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 02:58 PM

Other than the steeraing wander how does the ome lift ride? I am going to do that or buy RRO's bolt-on SOA. Just curious how the ome rode I have always heard it is the best riding lift for the sammi.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Overal I like the OMEs. The ride has softened. Not as much as some(one?) venders would have you believe however. After all it still has live axles and short wheelbase. The "shock" or "jar" of bumps is greatly reduced on road and off road it is alot smoother. I would imagine the Con-Ferr greasable bolt/bushings and DT shocks helped a little bit too. The lift is very mild, probably 2.5"-3" with the Bone shackles. I would do it again.

-Farther
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode