T-case Stuck in Neutral - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Suzuki GEO All Discussion of all things, Suzuki and GEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

T-case Stuck in Neutral

I shifted the T-case down into 4wd and when I shifted back up the T-case locked up. It's in neutral and won't go anywhere. I tried rocking the car then pushing it forward about 10 ft... still nothing. This happened after towing on a dolly with the rear wheels on the road and the front on the dolly for about 20 miles. The T-case was originally in neutral while it was being towed so I don't think the problem came about from that. I've heard this is a common problem and supposed to be an easy fix but I can't find a post for it. Am I looking in the wrong places? Can anyone help me get the Sami back on the road? As it is, my wife is pretty pissed off that I bought the thing to begin with.

Thanks,
Pauly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: T-case Stuck in Neutral

Hey this the right place to look, anything u need to know is probably right here on this bbs
First of all, take off the rubber boot, then theres a little metal cap, remove that by getting 2 screwdrivers and twisting. i mayed a tube that makes that a sinche. Then, take out the Stick, and there should b like a little piece of metal or sheet of metal that is showing at the lower part of the hole, move that back in to were it clicks or doesnt show any more.put everything back and put back in 2wd and you can just start rollin agian.

I had this happen to me, and ppl said i had a bad shifter sheet. I didnt have to change it at all, i think it was the shifter sheet that was stickin out like that. All you have to do is move it back. If this doesnt work, where are you located, i can buy if you want to get rid of it heheh, never can have too many Sammis around tha house. id like another one [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

~Goot
http://suzukigoot.rockcrawler.com/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This just happened tome last weekend. Let me see if I can explain how I solved my problem. First I removed the rubber shifter boot inside the sammi, along with the shifter knob. Below that boot is a smaller one, remove that one and slide it up and off. Now you are looking at a metal cap with two small slots in it. This cap has to be depressed and rotated counter clockwise about 1/8 turn, it is spring loaded and will pop up a little. remove the shifter lever to get to the two rods inside the transfer case. There is a notch in each rod. These two notches will have to be lined up and towards the front of the vehicle. This will be neutral. I used a LARGE flat blade screw driver to accomplish this on mine. Put your shifter back in with the small ball shape at the end into the hole that these two notches have created. Now move your shifter as if you are putting your transfer case into 2 HI. there you have your sammy back on the road.
I know it may sound complicated, but it only took me about 30 minutes to take it apart and put it back together.
While I was working on mine.. There was alot of build up under the LITTLE boot. I did everything I could to keep all this dirt from going down into the transfer case. I did not want to cause another problem. I also replaced my gasket at the base of the shifter. Mine was worn out. This is a little black flat "O" ring. I went with an aftermarket orange one. Hope it works...bought it from a guy on E-bay.

I hope all my rambling helps.
Eric

Turn it till it breaks, then back off 1/4 turn
1986 Suzuki Samurai JX
2000 Suzuki Esteem seats
2" Calmini S/R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'll be in there first thing tomorrow morning. I wish I knew it was this easy. I passed up a beautiful Sami about 2 years ago because of a stuck T-case. I'll post again if there are any problems...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 06:47 PM

your other replies were on the right track-i've had this happen on two previous samurais. i always carry a large scredriver to slide the shifter forks with. from experience you may as well put in a new shifter handle for the t-case-about 45 bucks last time i bought one-this should solve your problem! good luck

cueball

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 07:35 PM
Can't Get Enough

Gawdzuki has you covered on getting it back rolling, but it would be smart to replace the shifter sheet unless you want to get a lot of practice with this routine and run the risk of getting stranded if it happens when you don't have a big screwdriver handy. The "build up" that Gawdzuki referred to under the boot was what's left of the shifter sheet, which prevents the shifter from going into a position that will hang it up. When my brother's hung up his had turned to mush like that. They are made out of a rubber-like compound that will eventually decompose after years of exposure to the gear lube. They cost about $8.00 through the dealership or most any of the common Zuk vendor's sites. I saw someone on Izook Ads that is selling shifter sheets made from Teflon for $10 or so. Those sound like they'd last, but I have already replaced them on all of my rigs so I'm not in the market right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode